Centaur Mine complex

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
squabbit
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Centaur Mine complex

Post by squabbit »

Anybody been out to the old Centaur Mine complex in the Chesterfield Bottoms? I had totally forgotten about this place, but have been trying to think of some good stuff for you guys. There is a complex of abandoned dormitories and associated buildings from the late 19th, early 20th century in a stretch of woods near the railroad tracks and Wild Horse Creek Road in Chesterfield. Old limestone/lime burning mine/factory complex; flooded quarry there too. There was a bit of a town there around the turn of the century, but has been abandoned probably since the 1930s.. The old company store is still occupied (but out of the woods and about 300 yards away). There is an abandoned school near the store as well. Might be interesting. The site is on RR property (I think), but anybody who is quiet shouldn't have any problems. I never did. PM me and, if you promise to respect, I'll give you directions.
the_p0ssum
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

RE: Centaur Mine complex

Post by the_p0ssum »

Is this closer to where Centaur road makes the 90deg turn and crosses the tracks, or more where the road intersects Wild Horse Creek? I know that most everything south & east of Wild Horse Creek is part of Babler Park, but there's obvious remnants all over that area.

Further details would be appreciated since I know that area from back when I was a kid.
the_p0ssum
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by the_p0ssum »

Studying some sat maps, I see a huge pond/lake at the back edge of Babler, near Wild Horse Creek. The old quarry?

This is just east of the Centaur/Wild Horse intersection. I recall an old, closed off road there, right before that little bridge over the run-off creek/ditch. Looks like the road leads up to the pond/lake/quarry, which would make sense. Plus, being the park, I'm betting there are trails which run close by anyway.

Or, I could be entirely off! :)
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

Sounds cool, I can't locate it on Google Earth though. I'll drop you a pm Squabbit. Promise I'll respect.
tunajive
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by tunajive »

Are these the houses you're speaking of?

They must have been short people...although I am rather tall...

There is another little "house" I need to check out that maybe 100 yards from there which I'm assuming is the other you're speaking of, and the other across the road. Watch the floors though, not so stable anymore. I live like 5 minutes from here.
squabbit
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by squabbit »

Hey, nice job :lol: you made it. It is not in Babler Park, I promise, but it is just WEST of the centaur/wh creek intersection. The road is not abandonded, but nobody uses it. That area along WHC is so cool, Indian Mounds, abandoned slave cemetery, abandoned mine. It just scares me that with the development out there and the increasing numbers of people, that stuff is going to get destroyed by people who don't care.
tunajive
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by tunajive »

I just wanted to know where you got all the info on the area. I have never really known what the places were used for but those pics were from last year. I've driven back there for years and noticed all the cool stuff. It's only a matter of time before the new times catch up with the old.
squabbit
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by squabbit »

I do research. When I see something interesting, I have to know what it is. Usually, when I start looking into one thing, ten more things pop up. A great place to start is the old county plat maps and city maps available at city hall, missouri historical society library (on Skinker) and the St. l. City library. Those things go to back to the mid 19th century (there are also older maps) and show things like cemeteries, houses, springs, etc. Also, if you find a brewery on a 19th century map, you can be pretty sure there is a cave nearby.
the_p0ssum
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Re: Centaur Mine complex

Post by the_p0ssum »

OK, I drove around there and couldn't find it. I explored back on Old Slave Road until it deadended at a nice house, and I also wandered around the ruins right across Centaur road in "downtown" Centaur. But, I didn't find a pair of houses like was noted in the picture. Any more clues? :wink:
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

the_p0ssum wrote:OK, I drove around there and couldn't find it. I explored back on Old Slave Road until it deadended at a nice house, and I also wandered around the ruins right across Centaur road in "downtown" Centaur. But, I didn't find a pair of houses like was noted in the picture. Any more clues? :wink:
Hmm.. they're surprisingly easy to find.

the_p0ssum
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by the_p0ssum »

Ahh...I must not have walked back in there far enough.
chipmunksucks
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by chipmunksucks »

http://westcountyjournal.stltoday.com/a ... r0.ii1.txt

Somebody bought it and built a mansion next to the quarry - google earth shows it pretty clearly.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

So, it had been a while since I'd been by here, but today I went by and I do believe the two buildings pictured above are still in the woods.

At the 90deg turn in the road, where the small, old building with the huge stone basement (with the cool doorway) is, someone transformed the whole area into a yuppie paradise. They totally rehabbed the building, too. So, that's cool.
C4D
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by C4D »

Just wanted to update this thread that the two buildings posted above have been razed a couple weeks ago. I went there this morning to photograph them in the snow and the buildings are gone with two dumpsters sitting in their place.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Lame!