I'm a Newbie looking for a good first exploration...help!

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
The Moor
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: I'm a Newbie looking for a good first exploration...

Post by The Moor »

memory_machine wrote:Is it really exploring when we tell him where to go? I'd say that, for me, 90% the fun of exploring is finding places that look interesting, finding information about them, finding a way in..... Someone gave him a good place to start with Woods-Smith Castle. They also recommended my blog, which can be accessed by using the "blog" link at the top right hand of the screen (then selecting "memory_machine's blog). He can also find plenty of sites just by browsing the forums a little.

Having said that, this forum is a place where we explorers come to talk about exploring........and sometimes we go off on tangents. I don't think that makes us retards. Honestly, most explorers don't just hand out location info to people they don't know and who have only made 4 posts......how can we know if we can trust this person with the sites that we care so much about?
Chris wrote:FWIW, I sent the original poster a PM the day he posted this, and he still hasen't read it, so I don't think he's even been on the site since posting it.

hehe...sorry I took so long on this...I never saw that little beeping red thing for the PM's. Anyways, MM, I understand your hesitancy...I'm the exact same way with places I find on campus...Most people would use them to smoke up in, So I'm careful who I show...

Anyways, the castle looks badass. I'm having difficulty assembling my "crew" but I think we're finally all together and may attempt a few of these next weekend. I'd go alone, but I'm a bit nervous for my first real exploration and don't really feel like trekking alone.

Thanks everybody!
Dust!
memory_machine
Resident Douchebag
Resident Douchebag

RE: I'm a Newbie looking for a good first exploration...help

Post by memory_machine »

When I assemble my crew, I usually find it best to have these types of people with me: A dwarven fighter, an elven warrior or ranger, and an arcane magic user (sorcerer or wizard). The last spot is usually filled by either a hafling rogue or someone who can cast healing magic, like a druid or cleric.

Hope that helps.

No, but seriously, when you first get started, you'll usually have to drag along people that are only halfway interested in exploring, or are so afraid of getting caught that it ruins the experience. You'll have way more fun when you actually explore with other "explorers."
The Moor
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by The Moor »

memory_machine wrote:When I assemble my crew, I usually find it best to have these types of people with me: A dwarven fighter, an elven warrior or ranger, and an arcane magic user (sorcerer or wizard). The last spot is usually filled by either a hafling rogue or someone who can cast healing magic, like a druid or cleric.

"

I have an arcitect and a math major...close enough?
Dust!
memory_machine
Resident Douchebag
Resident Douchebag

RE: I'm a Newbie looking for a good first exploration...help

Post by memory_machine »

That depends........can the math major cast spells?
The Moor
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by The Moor »

memory_machine wrote:That depends........can the math major cast spells?
Only lame ones...He has the power to make anything we're doing nerdier.
Dust!