Cherokee Cave

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
MadScrapperMom
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Cherokee Cave

Post by MadScrapperMom »

Has anyone explored this cave recently? Any photos? I am alsoo interested in finding a map of the cave. I know that recently a guy believed he had an entrance in this basement and even started a website about Cherokee Cave but unfortunately that site disappeared. I guess he didn't have a cave entrance after all. Any recent info on the cave would be much appreciated it, thanks!
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Re: Cherokee Cave

Post by Chris »

There's a book called "Lost Caves of St. Louis" that's a fantastic read on the subject. You can get it at area Borders stores.
JustLooking
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Cherokee Cave

Post by JustLooking »

There is a crude map in the Lemp: A Haunting History book as well.
squabbit
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Cherokee Cave

Post by squabbit »

recently a film crew was allowed down in the Lemp cave system which is attached (I believe) to the Cherokee System. You can view the footage at the following link.
http://www.mayorslay.com/stlouistraffic ... pelunk.asp
memory_machine
Resident Douchebag
Resident Douchebag

Post by memory_machine »

Very nice find! And yes, that is the same cave. The Lemp Caves were called Cherokee cave when it was opened as a tourist attraction by Lee Hess in the 1950's, and that was what the cave was historically called.
MadScrapperMom
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by MadScrapperMom »

AMAZING footage! Thank you for posting. This is exactly what I was looking for. A friend of mine who wrote an article for the suburban journal on the cave in the early 1990's is thinking about doing a followup article and I hope she is able to go down into the cave.