Tunnels underneath Lambert International

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
Jburr55
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Tunnels underneath Lambert International

Post by Jburr55 »

Hello, been on the site for a while but just made an acc. My dad has talked about these tunnels he'd go into in the 80's that lead to the runways. He even popped out underneath a couple jets, really cool stuff. Anyways, he pointed me to the entrance of these tunnels that are along natural bridge road. Post 9/11, I can't remember if he said they were closed up but I think the answer is obvious. I'm planning on checking it out sometime to see for myself, but if anyone knows ANYTHING about these tunnels, please post it on this topic as I have not been able to find anything about this other than from my dad and my friend's dad. Happy exploring.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: Tunnels underneath Lambert International

Post by mindwaave »

Beware - Coldwater Creek runs under the Airport!

Also, after that specific date you mentioned, such federally-funded sites became a serious matter. Count me out, hombre.

Welcome to the forum lol
Preservation over plunder.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Past thread

I know I didn't explore it... If memory serves the north end of Coldwater was gated... but I'm pretty hazy on that. Mighta just decided the federal crime wasn't worth it.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Whitepanther
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by Whitepanther »

These stories come first hand from a former OSHA employee who did quarterly safety presentations for my previous contractor.

The only tunnels I know about under the runway are just elaborate pipe chases primarily for electrical conduit that supplies the runway lights. Don’t ask me why because I couldn’t tell ya since it’s above my pay grade but those runway lights are actually 4,160 volt (as opposed to 208/230/277/480). Anyway it was sometime around 2007 when two guys from a well known electrical contractor were at lunch. They had all the appropriate signage and lockout tagout in place like they were supposed to. It included contact info in the event it needed removed for any reason. While the were at lunch someone in the control tower had a fit and demanded the lights be turned back on immediately. A Lambert Airport maintenance worker then cut the lock off without contacting anyone who’s numbers were listed on the breaker. Upon returning from lunch one of the two electricians died from electrocution because of this. It should’ve never happened.

The story gets odder…Call it karma or fate or whatever you wish but six months later the same employee who cut the lock in the fatal accident was electrocuted himself. This occurred in an abandoned building adjacent to the airport that’s owned by the same entity. The deceased was apparently scrapping wire from the building without permission during the time of his accident. Truth is stranger than fiction sometimes.
Chubz
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Chubz »

Honestly I'd be more afraid of the radioactive creek than I would the post-9/11 security issues for anyone exploring these tunnels. And that's not to downplay the post-9/11 security at all.

Interesting story WP thanks for sharing that.
ultimate lurker
Whitepanther
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by Whitepanther »

Thx Chubz. There’s an interesting story behind that creek contamination too. Most might already b aware of it but for those that don’t there used to be two large buildings near the corner of McDonnell Blvd & Eva. This was where Mallinckrodt was storing the raffinate and depleted uranium from the enrichment operation which at the time was being done at Salisbury & Broadway (prior to moving to Weldon Spring). In what can only be described as a comedy of errors once it was determined that the building the atomic waste was being stored in caused the building to be completely contaminated after flash flooding, they moved it right next door to an adjacent building that was also prone to flash flooding.

In comparison to what occurred elsewhere this was actually a drop in the bucket believe it or not. There were 100’s of tons of radioactive waste dumped into the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of New York. Most of that waste came from Oak Ridge from what I read. Will try to hunt down the link to the atomic story because it’s a heck of a read.