New, and Looking for New Places

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
nextel
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

New, and Looking for New Places

Post by nextel »

Good evening all,

Been lurking for a few weeks without an account but recently, I've finally started going out and about and doing some exploration. So far, I've only hit the arena (train tracks, was nice to just sit there and relax) and a warehouse down near the flood wall, where Paint Louis occurs. That place kind of sucked, as there were homeless people and we had to avoid them. It was very interesting nonetheless. I've been looking for more places to go, but I am kind of new to the area and don't really know where to begin. I wanted to do Cementland, but it looked like the spot was way too hot when I cruised by.

I've been thinking about doing the Cleveland School, or the nursing home up north as my next spot. Maybe even the Tower Apartments, but that's right off of a main drag and could be sketchy. I'm not super experienced in UE, but I did do some of it in the last city I lived in, and am in pretty good shape, so theoretically it might be a little easier for me to do some of the stuff that requires hiking.

I'm sorry, I know this question gets asked loads on the forum, but at the same time some of the places I've seen on here are demolished or have a lot of squatters in them.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: New, and Looking for New Places

Post by SubLunar »

Greetings and welcome!

The locations you mentioned sound like a good start to me. I'd recommend adding Falstaff to your list as it's definitely one of the "best" STL locations IMO (some very dangerous parts, though [collapsing stairways, etc] so be aware). We used to have a wide variety of awesome/historic stuff but most of the OG locations have been demolished by now which sucks obviously. But this is Saint Louis after all so there's always something out there. At any given time we usually have a handful of churches worth seeing, too. But sometimes you just gotta drive around and discover things that you weren't expecting.

Maybe we could even plan a small meetup some time to go hit up some spots. I currently have a busted collarbone but I definitely plan to get out there a lot more this fall once my arm starts working again.
nextel
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by nextel »

SubLunar wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:46 am Greetings and welcome!

The locations you mentioned sound like a good start to me. I'd recommend adding Falstaff to your list as it's definitely one of the "best" STL locations IMO (some very dangerous parts, though [collapsing stairways, etc] so be aware). We used to have a wide variety of awesome/historic stuff but most of the OG locations have been demolished by now which sucks obviously. But this is Saint Louis after all so there's always something out there. At any given time we usually have a handful of churches worth seeing, too. But sometimes you just gotta drive around and discover things that you weren't expecting.

Maybe we could even plan a small meetup some time to go hit up some spots. I currently have a busted collarbone but I definitely plan to get out there a lot more this fall once my arm starts working again.
Sounds good to me! I was planning on hitting falstaff Sunday evening as I found out about it last night. Did some light recon on it tonight, and spoke to someone who I know has gone in there in the last year. Area seems relatively quiet, but the street-facing entrances are all boarded up. I'm probably going to make entry through the main gate and see where I can go from there! Thank you for the warm welcome, this site is awesome and I would love to meet up with you guys and do some urbex. Sorry to hear about your collarbone, that's a shame. Personally, I have dealt with the same exact injury and it sucked big time. I was looking at your website last night - truly fascinating stuff you have on there.

Once I hit Falstaff, I plan on going to some of the caves around the city. I've never done caving, and have a very healthy amount of fear in regards to it. I may also try and hike out to the missile sites and just look around out there. Who knows what this chapter of my life will bring me. It's a relatively inexpensive hobby, and as you said, there is always something here in St. Louis to explore. Which is totally different from where I used to live in Texas. A whole different ball of wax here.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Given how low the river is, you might check out the Augie. Even if they have the flood doors closed, it's not that far of a walk around the wall.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand