Wood River Power Plant Stacks finally coming down

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
Chubz
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Wood River Power Plant Stacks finally coming down

Post by Chubz »

They demo'd the main building a few weeks back and the smokestacks are scheduled for this sunday.

https://www.riverbender.com/articles/de ... -48530.cfm

@sublunar, at least you got into this one when you did. I was lazy and missed the chance before they started the main building demo.
ultimate lurker
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: Wood River Power Plant Stacks finally coming down

Post by mindwaave »

Damn. This all happened way too fast...

Preservation over plunder.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Chubz wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:14 am @sublunar, at least you got into this one when you did. I was lazy and missed the chance before they started the main building demo.

Oh man. There was zero chance I was gonna let this one slip by without a serious and concerted effort to see it before it was too late. I don't say that to come across as a douchey dick measuring contestant, rather I've just played the regret game looking back at piles of rubble too many times in the past. So I've learned to channel that intense feeling of regret into something more productive: intense repeated reconnaissance trips to get a full and accurate perspective of a location's current status and viability. So at least, when the day of demolition comes I can look back with either a sense of accomplishment or, at the very least, being satisfied in knowing that at least I tried my hardest but things just didn't pan out.

This place though.. I mean damn. It looked like a fucking dream explore. Just look at that sexy thing. I never actually thought it would come to fruition all those times I drove past it while it was still chugging along doing its job and filling the sky with clouds. I just always thought to myself: Damn that would be cool. All those mysteries hiding inside secret rooms and catwalks and darkened control panels that one could spend hours exploring and experiencing. All those knobs and switches just waiting to be pressed lol. Never thought it would become a reality until much later.

I don't want to take all credit for it either though because without a good comrade to do things with, things might never get done. I've always been hesitant to name names of people I explore with, especially given a location like this and especially when it's being discussed by its real name so I am often concerned that my not naming them makes it seem like I'm taking all the credit which is not my intention.

Having said that, I drove out there every chance I could get and employed all my best tricks learned over the years to figure out the situation on the ground. This was not the kind of place you can just stumble your way into. I REALLY wanted to not only get in, but for this one to last for a good long while. We could really use something like this around here. I hoped that eventually it would be a place we could share with others on the down low. But as it turned out, I happen to know that some people who got in after us began dicking around certain areas and bringing attention to their presence which naturally caused increased issues with security. As a result, I never went back. Not long thereafter, way back in 2019, I noticed they were gutting the turbine hall so I knew its fate was sealed at that point. I poured one out for the falling homie and posted it to the blog since it was truly fucked now anyway.

Disclaimer: These events may or may not have ever occurred and I may or may not actually exist. These are just words and pictures on a computer therefore they could be digitally manipulated to seem real.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

SubLunar wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:17 pm dick measuring contestant
We never measure dicks around here anyways.

Panic always wins.

More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Nicotti wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:36 am
SubLunar wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:17 pm dick measuring contestant
We never measure dicks around here anyways.

Panic always wins.
True dat.