Checked out St. Mary's Infirmary on Papin St. today. (pics)

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Checked out St. Mary's Infirmary on Papin St. today. (pics)

Post by Chris »

First we checked out the newer addition and then made our way into the older building. There was some crazy bum making weird noises very loudly upstairs, so we decided it was best to leave, but we will be back to get pictures of the older building, which is quite a bit more interesting than the newer one.

The newer building is a brick building, five stories tall with very plain design. It was built in the 1950s according to EOA. The halls are covered in peeling paint and the beds are still in most of the rooms, along with other furniture. None of the glass globes covering the lights were broken they were all removed and sitting on shelves and in closets. There was fire damage on the 2nd or 3rd floor. It's obvious by the beer cans, chip bags, and various person effects that somebody still lives or recently has lived in many of the rooms. There's no tagging whatsoever, but regardless, there's lots of 'human-induced' damage, especially to the bathrooms.

Although I'm sure there is one, we didn't find an actual connection between the old and new buildings. If there is one, it's in the kitchen area, which is quite large.

The old building differs from the newer one in that it's more ornate and has much taller ceilings. The walls are plaster and the ceilings are now just plaster latticework. We found a room full of toilets and off to the side in a small closet type area was several cans of U.S. Gov't issued water, the type used to stock fallout shelters during the cold war. Most were unopened.

Here are some pics of the newer building -

These are typical of the stark white halls in the new building. The doors on both sides lead to small rooms with a matress and often other furniture.

These are typical of the rooms along the halls.

A different hall on the ground floor.

At one point, this place did detox and drug rehab. This must have been for the REALLY intoxicated ones.

A burnt-up hall.

What is it about intact bathroom fixtures that compells idiots to destroy them?

Big room.

Cafeteria room.

The following pics are from the older building.

This is an interesting brick arch tunnel on the lower level. The brand-new interior style doors look like they're straight from Home Depot...I wonder why they're there.

An INTACT, yes I said INTACT television in the older building's lobby area.

The hallway to the lobby area.

The fallout shelter water.

The toilet ranch.

Took quite a few more pics, but these give you a good idea what's there. I think the older building is going to be far more interesting,
memory_machine
Resident Douchebag
Resident Douchebag

RE: Checked out St. Mary's Infirmary on Papin St. today. (pi

Post by memory_machine »

That's so awesome! That place has been on my list of places to check out for awhile, I just haven't gotten around to it. I was under the impression that there was pretty frequent activity in the 1950 addition. Did you find that to be not true?
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

Post by whipping_post »

I think it's funny that the Gordon's Vodka was next to the fallout water. Otherwise, that'd be a cool place to explore. Any idea of how old the place is?
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign.
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Post by Chris »

The older building was built in 3 sections in the late 1800s and early 1900s. The newer building was built in the early 1950s.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Dude, you're always finding cool stuff. I'm jealous.
Vega
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Vega »

I have been there, but I wasn't brave enough to attempt to go exploring inside by myself, mainly because of the possibility of crazy bums. Sounds like it's a good thing I didn't go in alone. I have a bunch of pictures of the outside though if anyone cares. What's the best way to get inside?
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Post by Chris »

In the kitchen area between the two buildings there's some busted out windows. You can get in through there.
Vega
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Vega »

Cool, as soon as I can convince somebody to go with me I'm there. I want to go even more now that I've seen your interior photos.
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Post by Chris »

I want to go back there anyway...you're welcome to come if you want to.
Vega
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Vega »

Drop me a line next time you're going out there. I'll more than likely tag along as long as I'm not busy.