Armour's Steam Compressor Lives on

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Armour's Steam Compressor Lives on

Post by SubLunar »

-Gratuitous shot of Armour's fine ass 1902 De La Vergne Double Acting Refrigerating Steam Compressor before the plant's ultimate demise-

Heard from a trusted source that it survived. Looked em up, called em up and just got off the phone with the new owner and confirmed that it was saved. It's at the Farm Heritage Museum in Greenville IL. Definitely gonna stop by and see it sometime.

1. They grabbed it after the building was imploded. The guy I spoke to expressed displeasure that they blew up the building with the thing inside. Sounds like they were trying to get it before it was blown up but that the people in charge were more concerned with bringing Armour down ASAP.

1a. Obviously it took a beating when the building came down. She's probably in rough shape.

2. It will be a static display on their property. It does not sound like they have any intention of getting it operational. Which is understandable if you consider the complex system required to run such a fine ass piece of early 1900's engineering.

I'm just glad it wasn't cut up and sold for scrap. Even if it just becomes a rusty display piece, well it's better than scrap. I had hoped that City Museum would have gotten it somehow. I actually PM'd City Museum out of desperation on facebook back when this was going down in hopes that they might do something cool with it but either they weren't interested or this other museum beat em to it.

Go check it out, along with other groovy old stuff, here (I don't see any pics of it on their site but I'll definitely get some if I ever make it out that way):

http://www.americanfarmheritagemuseum.com/
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: Armour

Post by Headframe Hunters »

Badass! I'm glad it was saved.
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

Holy mother of everything holy, that is awesome. I think we all assumed the worst for it. I'm surprised word hasn't gotten out about it. These guys should have been promoting the hell out of it.

It's not too complicated, and I would definitely drive out there to volunteer wrenching on it to get it moving again.. even if not fully operational.
Chubz
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Armour's Steam Compressor Lives on

Post by Chubz »

This is great news!
ultimate lurker
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Made a trip out to visit an old friend this weekend.

It's depressing but at the same time it's a hell of a consolation. There's probably no better place for this awesome piece of history to be than at the American Farm Heritage Museum. I just hope they eventually get around to piecing it back together.

The good news is that the important bits look pretty much intact. It appears that they carefully disassembled it and it wasn't completely fucked when the assholes dynamited the building down on it.

PS Fuck you, @frisbae
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

I don't suppose the person there that day had any info on when they might put it back together... or know anything about it?
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I tried talking to someone but the only official representatives available didn't know shit. There was a big heritage festival thing going on that day so I assume everyone who would have known anything was busy doing something.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

I would imagine where ever they decide to put it they'll have to pour a new concrete pad that can support the weight and secure it down. So they probably will have to raise money for that and heavy machinery to lift the pieces into place for reassembly. Doesn't strike me as a place with a large amount of fluid funds at the ready for such projects.

-Ayn Rand
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

True, but they might have a large group of volunteers with the machines and know-how to get something like that done.

Case in point, I recently visited the Antique Gas & Steam Engine Museum in Vista, CA and they do exactly what we're talking about.. and they get their engines running!
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Actually, the museum in IL has already constructed a concrete foundation for an engine they're receiving soon:

http://www.americanfarmheritagemuseum.c ... ition.html
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

There you go, it says they're using all donations on that for the time being.

-Ayn Rand
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Nicotti wrote:There you go, it says they're using all donations on that for the time being.
heck
Preservation over plunder.