Blue Ridge Theatre

Urban exploration in Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas
GuiShih
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Blue Ridge Theatre

Post by GuiShih »

Greetings fellow explorers:

My name is Gui. I am a member of a small group of explorers called the Hanzai. Our group consists of a few veteran explorers that recently decided to join forces. Though we have a few missions under our belt, I've chosen our most recent escapade as our premiere into the world of exploration.

There is an abandoned movie theatre in Independence off of 40 Highway and I-70. A little preliminary scouting revealed an easy entrance into the building. This is what we found:

One of the projector rooms...

Pile of junk in the main lobby...

Movie screen...

Breaker box... We were afraid to touch it...

Ticket counter...

Dry erase markers seemed oddly fresh, given all the cobwebs we had to walk through to get to it.

Restrooms... Don't ask... I'm not in control of the camera...

Neat place.
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

RE: Blue Ridge Theatre

Post by Kit »

bathrooms = ewwwwww
Kit wrote:I am old
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

Re: RE: Blue Ridge Theatre

Post by whipping_post »

Kit wrote:bathrooms = ewwwwww
Trust me, I've seen worse. Matter of fact, at my grandmothers house.

Don't ask.
ze_beeved
Resident Mechanical God
Resident Mechanical God

Post by ze_beeved »

Well then you obviously haven't been to my house after a night of drinking :roll: .
But speaking of my house; I live 5 minutes from there. That's the old blue ridge east. I'm assuming you went at night, parked on chrysler, walked down the highway right of way to just behind it and through an unlocked door? Am I close? This sounds like a Sunday night adventure for me :D
I don't know where to start.....
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

Post by whipping_post »

ze_beeved wrote:Well then you obviously haven't been to my house after a night of drinking :roll: .
But speaking of my house; I live 5 minutes from there. That's the old blue ridge east. I'm assuming you went at night, parked on chrysler, walked down the highway right of way to just behind it and through an unlocked door? Am I close? This sounds like a Sunday night adventure for me :D
I wish I'd had a camera so I could have taken pictures because the entire house was gross. The trailer she lived in was gross, but not as bad. It reminded me of a Wal-Mart dumpster.

The theater looks pretty cool to sneak into though. Are they remodeling or is it being scavenged for parts and then demolished?
GuiShih
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by GuiShih »

ze_beeved wrote:Well then you obviously haven't been to my house after a night of drinking :roll: .
There are a few places to park; one of which you already mentioned. You could park behind the theatre on I-70, walk up the hill, and jump the fence (The gate in the corner is locked, but easy to climb). Alternatively, you could park behind the little check cashing place on 40 Highway and sneak up to the building through the bushes. Our investigation revealed two possible points of entry: a broken out window and a busted door, both on the north side of the building.
JBSlarti
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Blue Ridge Theatre

Post by JBSlarti »

I love that theater! I remember going to it when it was open – it had a cool staircase and big-ass crystal chandelier in the lobby. I would love to buy that sucker and turn it into a haunted house, but, alas, with the death of Blue Ridge Mall I imagine the theater is next on the demolition block. Has anybody snuck around the mall demolition? It looks dangerously interesting.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Welcome Gui. Cool find :)
ze_beeved
Resident Mechanical God
Resident Mechanical God

Post by ze_beeved »

I've been to the mall about 2 months ago. Pretty neat. Pointless now though. 24 hr security and it's half torn down anyway.
Teleios
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Teleios »

I remember going to that theatre as well

wasn't it a dollar theatre for a while before it shut down?
UltimaPooh
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by UltimaPooh »

Yeah the theatre has been shut down for many years... and I have not heard of any reconstruction of it. I think its still up if you guys want to check it out, you can see it from I-70.

THe Blue Rdige mall which was adjacent to it has been torn down and I think they are rebuilding another shoping center.
ze_beeved
Resident Mechanical God
Resident Mechanical God

Post by ze_beeved »

Yeah they're building a damn walmart. The mall was a pretty neat explore while it was closed
Slim_4785
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Slim_4785 »

Me and a few people went up there one night (Blue Ridge) and were scouting out a way to get in....(last time we checked the unlocked doors were screwed closed.....easy enough to fix open....) But as we were leaving and walking to the car, we saw a police patrol car flying into the theatre parking lot. I guess we were spotted by someone and they called it in. I refuse to go back to that place now. :shock: Luckily we were not spotted as we left so I guess thats good.
crowe
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by crowe »

awesome find, and welcome! thanks for sharing the pictures.
Grue
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Grue »

JBSlarti wrote:I love that theater! I remember going to it when it was open – it had a cool staircase and big-ass crystal chandelier in the lobby. I would love to buy that sucker and turn it into a haunted house, but, alas, with the death of Blue Ridge Mall I imagine the theater is next on the demolition block. Has anybody snuck around the mall demolition? It looks dangerously interesting.
Jeez, yeah me too... it was kewl as hell... I bet it was 20 years ago that I was last there.