NIKE missile battery adventure

Urban exploration in Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas
colt45
Shiney Hiney
Shiney Hiney

RE: NIKE missile battery adventure

Post by colt45 »

m e and some friends want to explore this place does any one have directions?
pbr street gang
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: NIKE missile battery adventure

Post by pbr street gang »

ze_beeved wrote:The Leavenworth site has my wheels turning. As soon as I noticed that there was one in Lawson, one in pleasant hill, one in olathe....I figured there had to be the 4th one somewhere forming a square because the pleasant hill one is 48 miles from kc. The lawson one is 49 miles from kc. I'm willing to bet both the olathe and the leavenworth ones are right around 48 - 50 miles from kc. As far as I can tell, the gardner site would be a pretty good explore because the school is supposedly closed and the leavenworth site would be because nothing is there.

edit:
First off I forgot to mention that I looked through that link to see what site he was talking about. Then I clicked on kansas to see where those sites were. Anyway if you look at the terraserver image he has linked for the leavenworth site, it's wrong. It shows you some gravel area. If you get on google earth and locate the GPS coords then it will take to you to the site which now unfortunately is a parking lot.

edit again: after google earthing the gardner site, I noticed there are cars in the lot....nevermind about that place.
Awhile back after a lot of searching, I came across a site that was supposedly an underground abandoned communications compound at approx 4000sq ft. near polo. Can anyone help me out with finding it?

the leavenworth site is still intact you can see it on google earth follow the end of hunts road. i was there today
pbr street gang
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

pbr street gang
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

thats it. see the little peice of road that connects to santa fe trail drive. that is new. the original road went to hunts with a guard shack there. about half the original site has been dismantled since i was there in the 80s
chris70
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: NIKE missile battery adventure

Post by chris70 »

does anyone know if there is anything left of the Nike Battery KC-30 site?
ze_beeved
Resident Mechanical God
Resident Mechanical God

Post by ze_beeved »

There's plenty left of it. And there's even an angry land owner with a shotgun standing guard for your convenience.

*not recommended*
I don't know where to start.....
chris70
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by chris70 »

Thanx thats good to know Guess Ill keep searching
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

ze_beeved wrote:There's plenty left of it. And there's even an angry land owner with a shotgun standing guard for your convenience.

*not recommended*
Yeah, what ze_beeved said.

Anyone thinking of going there should be aware that the situation was different when we went there. It was owned by the local school district at the time--not exactly a formidable property owner.

Now, it's privately owned, and I don't like getting shot.
youthsonic
Urban Perversion
Urban Perversion

Post by youthsonic »

White Rabbit wrote: Now, it's privately owned, and I don't like getting shot.
Man, where is your sense of adventure! You are getting soft in your old age.
"fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
DigitalNinja
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by DigitalNinja »

KC77CJ7 wrote:I would have to get a new set, but if the locks are free, master locks take under a minute usually, they are almost the easiest to pick. IF they are free. If not, a little penetrant, a screw driver, and a stiff tensioner spring should do the trick. BTW, see my new post.
have one. basic non mechanical set. padlocks normally are easier to shim than pick though.
Drooldog
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: NIKE missile battery adventure

Post by Drooldog »

Ill be in Kansas City in July with my lock pick set :P
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Ah, I remember this old base. I was with the group that went with WR four years ago. Very awsome, but as he mentioned in his post two years ago (yet another thread that gets revived about every two years), in 2005 the place was owned by the local school district. Be very careful now since it's privately owned... prosecution dosen't scare me, but being shot at does.

By the way we were only in one of the missle units, there were two others that we weren't able to enter (no way to pick the locks).
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude