Lots of exploration

Urban exploration in Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas
gothstone
Beata Morte Perpetuum
Beata Morte Perpetuum

Lots of exploration

Post by gothstone »

Ok, I was frickin all over the place today. Need sleep, too tired for cross posting. Just look at my post and pics on kcurbex.org

Its daytime now, and my brain is functioning again. It occures to me that cut and paste would have been easier. Here ya go.

I went out with 2 friends today with the primary goal of getting accurate GPS coords for all the sites I know of. I figured if I saw anything easy or opportune, I would hit it while I was there.

First was the Arrowhead drain. Water was back down to normal today (Silentbob and I were there yesterday and it was an insane river), so we walked it to the other end. Low and behold, the coords come out to tell us that the drain does not pass under the stadiums at all. A name change is in order, so it has now been dubbed Sportsman Drain, after the road it follows. New photos are posted in the gallery.

Next we tried to confirm coords for the RLDS Auditorium. Well, the ones on UER are completely wrong, so scratch that for now. We then went to the Blue Ridge mall to get a more accurate reading on it. No problems here.

We then went to the area near Coal Mine Rd. and Blue Parkway. Oh my god, there is so much around here we need to explore! The 2 I was with are not experienced UE'rs, so I need to go back with a more experienced team. I count at least 6 buildings down here we need to look at.

Next was the Agland Grain Elevator. I drove right up to it, and couldn't resist. We went everywhere in here except the basement, there's 3 feet of standing water in it. Damn pigeons were trying to kill me! There is bird crap on everything. Pretty cool though, and roof access isn't hard. Again, pics have been uploaded to the gallery.

Then we tried to get to the LRC grain elevator. With mission rd out, I couldn't figure out how to get there. I'll need someone who knows the loc to go with me sometime.

There is another grain elevator, and more importantly a huge abandoned building at about 235 and I35S. I have no idea how to get down there either, but we need to.

Next we got better coords for the Muehlebach Hotel, Municipal Auditorium, Empire Theater, and Union Station.

Somewhere in there we hit the "Mystery Stairs". They waited in the car while I popped down to get off a few shots. Lights are almost dead, and there was 3 inches of water on the floor. Pics are in the gallery.

Last stop of the day was the city work house. We spent quite a while in here, but I didn't get many photos cuz I ran out of memory (I burned a 256MB stick today!). I will have to go back again, maybe with a ladder. Also the "Street Department" building across the street look pretty cool too, I'll get it next time. Anyway, pics are (guess where?) in the gallery.

All said and done, this was the most productive UE day I have ever had.
2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: Lots of exploration

Post by Willard »

I'm to lazy to sign up for the KC Explorers site but I was wondering about the abandoned Jones Store. Is that the one in downtown KC? If so what's the cross street corner it's near? I can get some information on the building pretty easy if I have the location.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
gothstone
Beata Morte Perpetuum
Beata Morte Perpetuum

Post by gothstone »

12th and Main
2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

I can't get the Sanborn site to work but I found some articals of interest...
Kansas City InfoZine

Local History-Kansas City Public Library
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
peterbillionaire
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: RE: Lots of exploration

Post by peterbillionaire »

Willard wrote:I'm to lazy to sign up for the KC Explorers site
if you want to look only, you don't have to register