fall out shelters

Urban exploration in Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas
kcexplorer
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

fall out shelters

Post by kcexplorer »

does anyone know of any fall out shelters in the area just curious
Last edited by kcexplorer on Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCEXPLORERS.. leader
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

RE: fall out shelters

Post by Mindscape »

One of my friends has one built into his house, serving double duty as the basement.
"I'm going deeper underground.
There's too much panic in this town."
kcexplorer
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by kcexplorer »

im looking for ones that were used to hold large amount of people i know some of the caves in the area have been knows for being setup at one time for this but not sure on the exact location and what not of these locations
ze_beeved
Resident Mechanical God
Resident Mechanical God

Post by ze_beeved »

I know william chrisman has one a couple stories down
I don't know where to start.....
thetrio
Whiskey Tango
Whiskey Tango

Post by thetrio »

There is one in Van Horn as well.
I went over to the dark side, but just to pick up a few things.
JDMWRX
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by JDMWRX »

Any ways of gaining access to those? I have heard that about a few schools but have dismissed it as urban legend. Anyone seen it first hand or have proof?
thetrio
Whiskey Tango
Whiskey Tango

Post by thetrio »

I have never been to either of them. I am pretty sure that Van Horn's is not a legend though. If you walk around the school there is at least one old fallout shelter sign on the north side. I have a friend that teaches there I will ask him next time I see him.
I went over to the dark side, but just to pick up a few things.
safetypinpunker
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by safetypinpunker »

There are rumors that there are large fallout shelters under the city of Emporia, KS. I go to school there and there are all these old awesome fallout shelter signs, but nobody will fess up to knowing where any entrances are. I have looked at the archival library for maps, but have come up with nothing.
There are also supposed to be some under some school in Lawrence; I have a person who knows where the entrance is, but, alas, it is inside a school, which might be hard to gain access to. Does anyone have any ideas as to where to get a map?
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

I hate to say this, but back during the 1950's and 1960's the local, state, and federal governments went around to all of the big buildings in town to determin which ones had good basements or not for fallout shelters. We used to have several of those signs on a lot of buildings here in Springfield. If the building has a deep enough basement then the government deemed it worthy as a fallout shelter. The reality is that very few acual fallout shelters and bomb shelters were actually built.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
S1L3N7B0B
Lunch Box
Lunch Box

Re: RE: fall out shelters

Post by S1L3N7B0B »

Willard wrote:I hate to say this, but back during the 1950's and 1960's the local, state, and federal governments went around to all of the big buildings in town to determin which ones had good basements or not for fallout shelters. We used to have several of those signs on a lot of buildings here in Springfield. If the building has a deep enough basement then the government deemed it worthy as a fallout shelter. The reality is that very few acual fallout shelters and bomb shelters were actually built.
This is true. Real fallout shelters are really really hard to find. However, almost every other school is deamed a fallout shelter because most have extensive underground basements or classroom hallways. That said, my old middle school is a "fallout shelter." It is now the special education classroom. :D
We might die from medication
But we sure killed all the pain ~ Conor Oberst
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Post by bluecookies »

being a recent graduate of BBC *covers head and face to protect from any rocks that might be thrown* our little campus thats falling apart used to be a park back in the day (at least part of it) and we have a building that was supposedly to be a fall out shelter for the park. Not sure how accurate the info is though. What doesn't make sense to me is that its mainly above ground and has windows (though I heard the window holes were put in later).
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

eing a recent graduate of BBC *covers head and face to protect from any rocks that might be thrown* our little campus thats falling apart used to be a park back in the day (at least part of it) and we have a building that was supposedly to be a fall out shelter for the park. Not sure how accurate the info is though. What doesn't make sense to me is that its mainly above ground and has windows (though I heard the window holes were put in later).
Your information on the building is inaccurate as far as it being for the park. I don't know anymore about the building but as far as the park goes, it was a park until the 1950s and then BBC used half of it and the other half was a trailor camp/aka motor home park. While it was a park, there were no buildings constructed on the site.

bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Post by bluecookies »

hmmmmmm now that you say that I do remember that a mobile home park was there, not apart of the park. Its always been referred to as the bomb shelter, but know knows, I could have completely bad info altogether
gothstone
Beata Morte Perpetuum
Beata Morte Perpetuum

Post by gothstone »

The basement of the Empire Theater was also considered a fall out shelter. God damn that place is cool!
2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

The trailor camp that used to be on the West half of the park (draw an imaginary line from Washington Ave. north to Kerney and that's how I divide the park) anyway, the park went from Benton to Summit. When it was still a park, Turner did not go through. It ended at Summit and continued after Benton. However, the current road grade for Turner south of BBC is where the street car line going to Doling Park used to go.