8th st tunnel! Yay!

Urban exploration in Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas
gothstone
Beata Morte Perpetuum
Beata Morte Perpetuum

8th st tunnel! Yay!

Post by gothstone »

Just got back from the 8th st tunnel. WOW! doesnt even say it. Its showing signs of natural cave formations in something man made. I have a tone of pics, but I don't want to burn up all the HD on this server, so look at http://www.gothstone.com/UE/?gallery=8thst

If white rabbit tells me to put them up here, not prob,, I just don't want to cause a problem. I'll also have video up by tomorrow. The trip went pretty well, but the lights in the lower tunnel don't work, or we didn't find the right switch, so it was pretty dark. I need to get one of the 3 million candle power lights. Was disappointed by the graffiti and trash. I filled my backpack trying to clean up after someone. It was worth it though! I got back late because I had locked my keys in my car, so I'm beat. Thats it for now, I'll add more info later.

Edit by WR: Fixed the link
2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2
thetrio
Whiskey Tango
Whiskey Tango

RE: 8th st tunnel! Yay!

Post by thetrio »

Cool that you found it, to bad about the trash and stuff.
I went over to the dark side, but just to pick up a few things.
S1L3N7B0B
Lunch Box
Lunch Box

Post by S1L3N7B0B »

1) Exactly how much trash?
2) I hope you didn't take the bottle... that's been there for more then 6 months in the exact same spot
3) There isn't really much graffiti except for the ones people scratched into the wall near the puddle and
4) Your link is has been butchered. :roll:
5) Did you seal it back up (as in reattach the bolts)?

Pretty cool eh? The lights haven't worked on the bottom floor for as long as we can remember, but flashlights work pretty well.
We might die from medication
But we sure killed all the pain ~ Conor Oberst
youthsonic
Urban Perversion
Urban Perversion

Post by youthsonic »

"fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
gothstone
Beata Morte Perpetuum
Beata Morte Perpetuum

Post by gothstone »

Sorry, not sure what happened to the link.

Out of the top tunnel, I only found a Stewarts root beer bottle, if thats the one you mean, I'm sorry, I was just trying to help. I can put it back Sunday night if thats it. I'm more used to caveing, where if its recent trash, it does NOT belong. Actualy, its kina funny, in the video you can see me get pissed about the bottle being there, then freak and get really carefull cuz it looked really old, then feel dumb cuz it wasn't.

Out of the bottom tunnel there were 3 bags of chips, a D cell battery, and a granola bar wrapper. The battery has a 2008 expiration, and the food had 2005 so it must all be pretty new.

The top left bolt was missaligned. The rest were no problem, they are tight, so the whole thing stays shut and looks normal.

The graffiti wasn't too bad I guess, at least no spray paint. The one that had me mad was "Eric and Ruth 2005" since that tells them people have been in it recently.

The video is now up. Sorry, my server can't stream correctly, so I encoded it to 256k. Its 31MB
http://www.gothstone.com/UE/8thst.wvx
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: 8th st tunnel! Yay!

Post by White Rabbit »

gothstone wrote:If white rabbit tells me to put them up here, not prob,, I just don't want to cause a problem.
Congratulations, and thanks again for making sure it was sealed up good.

And go ahead and post any pictures you want here. The board has a limit of 100k per picture, so you'll have to resize and resample them, but you can post whatever you want.
S1L3N7B0B
Lunch Box
Lunch Box

Post by S1L3N7B0B »

Fun seeing it on video. The wood is not a tree branch, it's an old railroad tie. The place never floods so to say; there's not a single time we've been there when it hasn't dripped. We've been there 6 or 7 times. The cloth hanging from the ceiling to stop people from running into them. A red cloth is a lot more visible then a rusting metal pole.

the landmark bottle is missing :cry:
gothstone
Beata Morte Perpetuum
Beata Morte Perpetuum

Post by gothstone »

Is the bottle I took the one you mean? If so, I still have it and will put it back.
S1L3N7B0B
Lunch Box
Lunch Box

Post by S1L3N7B0B »

Heh, yeah. I guess it doesn't matter. It was just fun seeing it never move over more than 6 months.

Here are LostLenore and PAWolf's pictures at UER:

http://www.uer.ca/locations/show.asp?locid=22105
gothstone
Beata Morte Perpetuum
Beata Morte Perpetuum

Post by gothstone »

Would love to see those pics, but I'm still a level 2. DOn't suppose you could nominate me for level 3?
S1L3N7B0B
Lunch Box
Lunch Box

Post by S1L3N7B0B »

Ahh, didn't realise it wasn't a public entry. We'll see. I gotta meet you first. :P
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Post by Mindscape »

Shall he wear his cop uniform or his turban to the meeting?

*snickers*
"I'm going deeper underground.
There's too much panic in this town."
KansasCity
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

Post by KansasCity »

Actually today's trash ends up being historical artifacts for the future. Imagine finding a coke can from 2005 in the year 2040. Maybe finding those D-batteries in the future would be odd because they may switch to a different type of power source and have no clue what they were. I've seen flashligths advertised that you shake them and they power themselves. Stashing an old working computer somewhere would be cool. Hey, I may have just started a new craze called stashing, yeah, yeah, that would be sweet! :P Anyway, just thinking out loud here. When my car stops running, I'm going to park in the 8th street tunnel!

I'm not saying to bring in trash and leave it, but if others have, those items should be I think should now be considered part of the historical artifacts and left alone.
gothstone
Beata Morte Perpetuum
Beata Morte Perpetuum

Post by gothstone »

I have to dissagree. I would think it was cool to find an old classic car, but what if I found it in an egyption pyramid? Thats just trashing the much older, and much cooler site. I understand what your saying, but go bury a time capsule, don't leave trash.

It does kind of depend on what it is too though. If the trash was from the same time peroid, then I would leave it alone.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

For some reason I seriously doubt that D cell batteries would make it to the future... the acid and such in them would cause their dimse and disinigration even if burried in the ground... actually I think the moisture from the ground causes the decay to happen faster...
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude