Looking for tall locations in KC and anything on MO side

Urban exploration in Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas
ember
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Looking for tall locations in KC and anything on MO side

Post by ember »

Are there any good places in the city as a whole that are really tall to get into?

abandoned with an outside view I can get into is what I'm looking for.

I'm also looking anyplace in general on the missouri side to get into

pm me if it's sensitive. I was wandering around springfield most of the past year and have got into this.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: Looking for tall locations in KC and anything on MO side

Post by White Rabbit »

I've never tried this in KC, but I'd just pick a few of those big buildings downtown and try a few of them until I found one with the roof access open.

It's pretty surprising how many places leave their roof access open. They just don't worry about people wandering up there, because 99.9% of them never will.
Watcher
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Looking for tall locations in KC and anything on MO side

Post by Watcher »

Sorry, but my acrophobia prevents me from seeking out tall buildings too much, and in my current line of work I can't afford to get caught trespassing so I don't.

I know some UE guys like the Muehlebach (sp?) Hotel - not abandoned but tall. There are all sorts of abandoned places in Northeast KC. Maybe something there will meet your desire.
"Oh, poor Watcher. Did your life flash before your eyes? Cuppa tea, cuppa tea, almost got shagged, cuppa tea..."
- Spike, "BTVS"
mechfreak57
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by mechfreak57 »

the memorial tower down there has an observation deck on it.
The objective of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other sorry bastard die for his.
-Gen. Patton
Grue
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Grue »

There's always the top of a roller coaster at WoF ;-)
ember
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Looking for tall locations in KC and anything on MO

Post by ember »

Grue wrote:There's always the top of a roller coaster at WoF ;-)
with nothing around...
Grue
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Grue »

Point taken. I've always been interested in what's under WoF anyway. I had some interesting experiences there years ago.
youthsonic
Urban Perversion
Urban Perversion

Post by youthsonic »

Getting on roofs in KC is actually pretty easy. I'd say a good 30-40% of the time i've tried by myself the doors have been unlocked. Most of the older buildings have fire escapes, which makes it even easier.
"fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
TR146x
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by TR146x »

The old KCPL building is your best bet, it is among the tallest in that corridor. You might also try the Town Pavilion. that place is operational, but more or less abandoned. it shuts up early though, so be careful and watch your time.

on a related note, a buddy of mine got me to the roof of Commerce Trust, which is not wildly tall, but on a bit of a hill compared to the buildings to the west, and taller than the ones to the east, it was a pretty neat view.

Also, I lived near WoF, in the subdivisions to the north, in the armpit of 435/35. There is a road to the south of this subdivision with two cemeteries on either side (I have to wonder if they were not one cemetery, bisected by the road) anyway, I always figured it would be easy to park at the cemeteries, and walk south towards WoF and sneak into the service area.
ember
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by ember »

I found observation decks on two towers through a search. I'm going to keep digging across the metro area as I would love to be high up in other areas of the city.

City Hall- 30th floor/30.
KCP&L- 32nd/34. (14th and Baltimore)

Next time it's nice and clear and I'm off work I'm heading downtown again and going up both.

The next best is the Liberty Memorial. $4 to go up but worth the cost. No glass, good views for miles. I made a 350 degree panoramic.
Through the haze I could see the Community of Christ (RLDS) Auditorium, WOF roller coaster and Royals Stadium scoreboard. The guy who ran the tower said to wait until it's clear and a cold front goes through and it clears up a ton for visibility. They also do night trips up once a month or so for anyone who wants shots then.

Parking garages also prove to have semi-decent angles because you don't have glass in the way but aren't very tall of course.

The KC Library (on Baltimore) has an observation deck on the 5th floor. Plus they have a giant chess set out there (queens the size of a 3 year old) for anyone into that game.
ember
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by ember »

KCP&L tore out their observation deck years ago.

City Hall has tours from 9-3. I would call ahead. It's an open deck on the 30th floor. Security goes up with you. Go in and then down to the basement security desk.