Bannister Mall

Urban exploration in Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas
MONKEYMANN
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Re: Bannister Mall

Post by MONKEYMANN »

Wasn't Banster Mall the "HOOD" Mall? Thats what I seem to recall...it was in the shitty neiborhood....or at least thats what it turned into...right???
I DIDN'T SAY THAT YOU SAID THAT I SAID THAT......
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Kit wrote:Image

creepy
Looks like something out of that movie "Mirrormask."
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Watcher
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Watcher »

MONKEYMANN wrote:Wasn't Banster Mall the "HOOD" Mall? Thats what I seem to recall...it was in the shitty neiborhood....or at least thats what it turned into...right???
Well, that was the reputation that it had. The truth was, it wasn't much worse than any other neighborhood. I mean, the Kansas City Wizards want to put their new stadium there. Would they do that in a really bad neighborhood?
"Oh, poor Watcher. Did your life flash before your eyes? Cuppa tea, cuppa tea, almost got shagged, cuppa tea..."
- Spike, "BTVS"
MONKEYMANN
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by MONKEYMANN »

Watcher wrote:
MONKEYMANN wrote:Wasn't Banster Mall the "HOOD" Mall? Thats what I seem to recall...it was in the shitty neiborhood....or at least thats what it turned into...right???
Well, that was the reputation that it had. The truth was, it wasn't much worse than any other neighborhood. I mean, the Kansas City Wizards want to put their new stadium there. Would they do that in a really bad neighborhood?
I don't know....Kemper Arena is in the middle of ShitVille! Before they built 71 hwy all the way through, you used to have to drive down prospect ave to get to Kemper to go to concerts....
I DIDN'T SAY THAT YOU SAID THAT I SAID THAT......
Watcher
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Bannister Mall

Post by Watcher »

To be honest, there's *nothing* out there any more, except an IHOP and a few hotels. Most everything there is gone. Even if gangs were a problem, there's nothing to attract them now...
"Oh, poor Watcher. Did your life flash before your eyes? Cuppa tea, cuppa tea, almost got shagged, cuppa tea..."
- Spike, "BTVS"
KansasCity
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

Post by KansasCity »

The IHOP is closed to I thought.
I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition is to eat, drink, and be Mary.

Aka Gringo Loco on KcUrbex.org and UER
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

Too bad it's gone. I had an experience there in the late eighties or early nineties. I probably already related it. It was in a bad neighborhood. One of the few Wal Mart Supercenters I've ever seen closed and just pretty much moved out was right there close by. Almost everything is closed around it. Ostensibly it was due to the proliferation of shoplifting and general stealing going on. The Wal Mart was one of the few Wal Mart Hyper Marts when it first opened. It was awesome. I used to use a computer store in a strip mall right by there. I wouldn't consider it dangerous. At least not during the day. There were just a lot of poor people nearby and the affluent traffic the mall should've attracted went to safer, more upscale places around the city.

The Mall of the Great Plains may not exactly be prospering, but I was in there not long ago and most of the stores were filled. There is a lot of construction going on around there with a new Super Target right across the highway. The huge hospital right across the street should insure the mall's existence, if not success. I would say they'll demolish it for something else rather than just to get rid of it like they did Bannister. Two totally different scenarios, IMO.
"That old hag hates my ass."
ImAWalkingCorpse
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by ImAWalkingCorpse »

Kit wrote:Image

creepy
Right around the corner on the lower left side of the pic is where the store I owned was located. I hadn't seen this pic before.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

Cerner's CEO keeps changing his mind about what they are going to do with this place. He originally wanted this to be a soccer stadium, but he changed his mind out of spite when Funkhouser wouldn't give him the tax breaks he wanted. Then they were going to sell it to a prison that found a cheaper property further south. Now apparently it is going to be the sixth campus with more facilities for the programmers in particular. This is going to be where they put the gourmet chefs, the pool, the gym, the daycare, the hotel for clients, and boardrooms where managers have to cross the street in suits. At the four buildings of the innovation campus across the street they have T-Shirts, jeans, and nerf gun wars, so they need some place to take clients.

I'm going to try to get access to the abandoned biotech labs in the unused part of the innovation campus. I'm not too hopeful though. My contact isn't that high up in the company. He's not even sure they'll let him back there alone. He's brave enough to ask though.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

It turns out the abandoned area that he thought was part of innovation campus across from Bannister mall is owned by Cerner's neighbor. I guess we won't get in to have a look. The part of that building owned by Cerner has already been fixed up.