Post by SandMan »

Was doing some research on another topic and came across this: Linky

Anybody know anything about it?
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: Guinotte Building tunnel

Post by Willard »

Sounds cool... I'll have to see what I can find out!
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
KC77CJ7
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by KC77CJ7 »

I know that area and that building. It actually had a partial roof collapse back in the summer. Good thing about it is it took out one wall so there is a gaping hole in the side of the building to crawl through. Bad thing is the building is not very structurally safe (hence he roof collapse), you have to climb a fence right in the middle of the street to get in there, and there is a large population of homeless people in the area, so odds are you will have squatters, especially at night. This is all given there is still access to the tunnel. The building IS owned by someone locally but there isn't anything going on there that I know of. If you go, there is a parking lot on the east side of the building, near the bridge, that may or may not be ok to park in, check for signs. That's all I can think of for now.

BTW, Guinotte is a somewhat busy two lane for industrial traffic. Keep an eye out when jumping the fence.
If you can read this, roll me back over....
FiReDiVeR
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Re: Guinotte Building tunnel

Post by FiReDiVeR »

Have you been in the tunnel and if so where did it lead and can someone get some pictures?
Ska-T
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Ska-T »

Is this the mid american storage building? if so, I've been through a lot of the building, but it's been a few years. I was moving some stuff into storage for one of the former owners. There were several cars on the main level, and the basement was partially flooded. I think there might be a way into the basement from the street. If it's a different building, then nevermind.
SandMan
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Post by SandMan »

I found the website for the newspaper but it looks like they don't have away to read past stories. Sound like the building might be under going some changes.
KansasCity
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

Post by KansasCity »

I drove by there one night and some cops where shinning their flashlights into the basement from the street. I was thinking about checking the place out untill I saw that. That roof collapse was pretty major though and they put up a wooden wall with no tresspassing signs.
I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition is to eat, drink, and be Mary.

Aka Gringo Loco on KcUrbex.org and UER
KC77CJ7
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by KC77CJ7 »

Yeah it's the Mid-America Storage building. I've never been in it, I only drove by it a lot for work.
If you can read this, roll me back over....
JupiterCries
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by JupiterCries »

Is this the location off of 3rd & Guinotte?
Time does not heal all wounds and distance makes the heart grow bitter.
dwaynekc
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by dwaynekc »

Yep that building is in real bad shape I was down there the day the south wall fell into guinote st. for the gas to be cut off cause they werent sure if the building would hold up.
peterbillionaire
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by peterbillionaire »

In a sad development for Kansas City explorers, this building has now been demolished. But there never was a tunnel. I think that the legend was based on narrow passages in the basement between different sections of the complex.
iFUBAR
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Guinotte Building tunnel

Post by iFUBAR »

peterbillionaire wrote:In a sad development for Kansas City explorers, this building has now been demolished. But there never was a tunnel. I think that the legend was based on narrow passages in the basement between different sections of the complex.
Actually we did find a tunnel in the basement of Mid America Cold Storage. Another explorer and myself had begun excavating and trying to dig past the mounds of garbage and wood that had been placed there as a makeshift barricade. Then, mysteriously, the building went up in flames 2 days later leading to its collapse.
I'm a relatively respectable citizen. Multiple felon perhaps, but certainly not dangerous.
peterbillionaire
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by peterbillionaire »

Was that at the eastern end of the basement? I think that was an opening to the basement of the building that used to be to the east of Mid-America.
iFUBAR
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Guinotte Building tunnel

Post by iFUBAR »

peterbillionaire wrote:Was that at the eastern end of the basement? I think that was an opening to the basement of the building that used to be to the east of Mid-America.
If my memory serves correctly, it was either eastern or northern. That was like 2 years ago, and I sometimes have trouble remember where the earlier portion of my day has gone.
I'm a relatively respectable citizen. Multiple felon perhaps, but certainly not dangerous.
KansasCity
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

Post by KansasCity »

Being around at the time, I can say it was the eastern edge, and you both are speaking of the same portion.

I would also like to take this moment to say I wish I were sporting a derby right now.
I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition is to eat, drink, and be Mary.

Aka Gringo Loco on KcUrbex.org and UER