Some old caves in St. Joseph area

Urban exploration in Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas
GHL
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Some old caves in St. Joseph area

Post by GHL »

I ran across some old man-made caves in the St. Joe area last year, and the whole area seemed pretty cool. I never could get a solid history on them though. Closest I came to a likely story was old DOT storage caves.

Anyway, most of them have been cemented over, but I did find one with a hole in the cement large enough to crawl through. I've never explored them myself, as the guy I was with had no interest. :wink: Anyone from that area I ever mentioned them to, always knew them as the "Devil Worshipper Caves"... original, I know... :roll:

I can get some more info and solid directions if anyone is interested.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

RE: Some old caves in St. Joseph area

Post by White Rabbit »

Yeah, get directions. I'm always interested in hearing about more places like this.
GHL
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by GHL »

Will do. They are down along the Missouri River, but I'll get exact driving directions.
GHL
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by GHL »

LINK!

This is the general area (vague, I know). If you look at the road parrelling the Missouri River on the North side, you'll notice a broken trail that breaks off from that raod, heading North towards the highway. The caves are along the river bluffs, approx. 3/4 mile before that trail head.

You can pan out on that image and get a general bearings as to where this is in relation to St. Joe.

I will get specific driving instructions, but this gives you an idea for starters.

Note, coords are listed in the left frame if you want to GPS it.
CasperMilkToast
Bearer of Man-Thong
Bearer of Man-Thong

Post by CasperMilkToast »

Last time I was up there working I heard there were some tunnels running at least from under the high school out to the river. That could be interesting. I have no idea about the location as I don't know St. Joe or the condition of the tunnels. Not too sure of any details, just what I heard.
The problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time. - Robin Williams
GHL
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by GHL »

I've heard that as well, or something similar. Basically that there are tunnels running from the river to the old downtown area.

My understanding is that the KC 8th St, Tunnel was used to shuttle goods and fuel to downtown, when it still ran on steam energy. This came in on boats and was transported into the heart of the city via these tunnels.

Chances are good that the tunnels rumored to be under St. Joe are for the same purpose.
youthsonic
Urban Perversion
Urban Perversion

Post by youthsonic »

I have heard the same, but have been unable to find anything like that in downtown... I would like to explore the St.. Joe system with you though...
"fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
CasperMilkToast
Bearer of Man-Thong
Bearer of Man-Thong

Post by CasperMilkToast »

Depending on when they are found and when an expedition is planned, I may be interested as well.
The problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time. - Robin Williams
ze_beeved
Resident Mechanical God
Resident Mechanical God

Post by ze_beeved »

Count me in. But I'm only free on weekends.
I don't know where to start.....
KansasCity
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

Post by KansasCity »

I also only have weekends, but would like to go.
GHL
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by GHL »

Let me see what I can dig up on the tunnels. I'm not a STJ native, but I do know some people up there. I might be able to find out some info.

I regards to the caves, I do know where they are if anyone is ever interested.
JBSlarti
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Some old caves in St. Joseph area

Post by JBSlarti »

Hey, finally somebody else who knows a bit about St. Joe! :D There's been a brief discussion on St. Joe in this thread.
viewtopic.php?t=707

My husband is from there and I lived there for six years, so I'm pretty familiar with the area, and I know exactly what caves you're talking about. Yep, they are the “devil worshipper caves,� and I think they were old DOT caves, or possibly used by the railroad. There’re lots of urban legends around that area, some of which I researched when I worked on the college newspaper. You may not get too far in most of them, even if there are holes in the cement because according to the city newspaper they were imploded in the late 1980s. There’s also a Department of Conservation area, private quarry and Boy Scout camp in that area. According to my husband, who’s a lifelong scout, the site of the old camp, which burned down, is still back in those woods too.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

The old scout camp sounds neat! You should tell me more!
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
JBSlarti
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Some old caves in St. Joseph area

Post by JBSlarti »

It’s Camp Geiger. There’s a bit of history on it and the old camp here:
http://www.ponyexpressbsa.org/06-CampGe ... gerBSA.htm

My husband and some of his buddies hiked down to it in the early to mid 90s, so I’m not sure how much of the old camp remains now. When he was there, there were burned out buildings still standing. My father-in-law actually went to camp in the old camp, but doesn’t go back down into that area now because it’s rough territory and gives him the wiggins.