What is This? Any ideas?

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

What is This? Any ideas?

Post by jammer_smith »

Take a look at this location on the Google Maps terrain view, and also Satelite view.

What does that look like to you? Looks like like an absolutely massive cave mouth to me, but it's really hard to tell.

36.917415,-93.44879
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
l3ol3slost
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: What is This? Any ideas?

Post by l3ol3slost »

Hell Yea It Does, Definitely Gunna Have To Check This Out First Hand ;)
"ego sum, ego existo, quoties a me profertur, vel mente concipitur, necessario esse verum."
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: What is This? Any ideas?

Post by Nicotti »

Yeah, I can't tell if it's a cave or just that part of the rock face is in shadow. Bing map of that spot is grainier than google.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
l3ol3slost
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by l3ol3slost »

Worth A Look :D

"ego sum, ego existo, quoties a me profertur, vel mente concipitur, necessario esse verum."
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

notice the creek that emerges from it..
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Looks like you'll have to be careful approaching it if you don't get the landowner's permission. There's almost a direct line of sight to it from that house.

-Ayn Rand
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

yeah, the topo view of the sharp little box canyon with a creek flowing out is what drew my attention. Then the satelite showed clear rock exposure and something that looks like over-hang although its hard to tell. Also you can kinda guage the size by looking at the tire tracks. It's pretty large. AND it's not part of larger longer bluff, just a sharp cut out of a hillside. It looks a lot like a large sink style collapse over an underground stream.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Speaking of property owner, ta-da!

-Ayn Rand
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

It is owned by a business in Kasas? That looks like a home right there next to it?
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

jammer_smith wrote:It is owned by a business in Kasas? That looks like a home right there next to it?
I know it, but the Stone county assessor GIS says that LLC owns all that property. Although the house is technically on a lot within the property. You can see the ne & se corners of the lot in the grass on google maps. The lot extends west to the tree line that is east of the creek. Then you can see a straight fence going south from those trees (between the n/s tire ruts and that small house) to a point by where the tire ruts curve. That's the lot boundaries.

-Ayn Rand
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

Very cool. Good to know. Also, check this out:

Some Kinda of Quarry/ Underground Storeage: 36.717146,-93.276887

Looks best in Bing Bird's eye
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

jammer_smith wrote:Very cool. Good to know. Also, check this out:

Some Kinda of Quarry/ Underground Storeage: 36.717146,-93.276887

Looks best in Bing Bird's eye
Paul kind of beat you to that one (not the exact same area, but nearly):
http://www.undergroundozarks.com/forum/ ... php?t=9175

-Ayn Rand
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Hays Cave. My great-great-grandfather owned it at one time, then it was owned by the Gold family. I don't know the name of the most recent family that owned it, but they were nice enough to let my brother and I go poke around in it. Huge entrance. Big enough to store farm machinery. Used to keep his cows in there, but came down one time and a boulder the size of a bus had fallen, so he quit. In the late 1800's a family came to Hurley but they had influenza and no one would let them stay with them. They stayed in the cave and two of the children died. Clarence Gold went to the cave one time after a heavy rain, and the water had moved a boulder. Under the boulder he found a cache of points, spearheads, and scrapers. Even today there is an incredible amount of worked chert lying around and a lot of partial points. There are two passage coming off the main entrance, but neither go very far. Attached photo shows the cave in 1904. The pile of breakdown it was taken from is still under the overhanging rock, if that gives you some idea of size.
Attachments
rsz_10479554_844948895538396_6384825676260733155_n.jpg
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

Dang, Very cool Brouser, thanks for the info. If it really is owned by some LLC out in Kansas, I think I'm gonna check it out, although maybe asking the nearby house to please not call the sherriff on me would be a good thing to do. Or just wear an orange vest and carry and clipboard. Nobody questions you if you have an Orange vest and carry and clipborad.

Also, Niccotti, on that dug away road spot. I see the pictures in that old thread, but if this is the same spot it has been worked on considerably since then, which means it's probably much more active than it looked like in the photo, meaning I probably can't just traipse down that road and walk in.

Also, just up the road a bit, where the Chemical Farm from that other thread is there are some abandoned gas station buildings or something like that, and further to the north and east of there I can see many culs-de-sac with no homes around them and road going nowhere ,like a large subdividsion was planned and never got off the ground.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

So, couple questions about that area, since you seem to be so familar Brouser.

Hayes Cave is only a little west of a park calls Hayes Spring park. Makes sense, I assume the Hayes family owned the whol area back in the day. But much further west, across the creek, is a little stretch of Road called Hayes Cave Road. To you knowledge are there multiple Hayes caves? Looking at the topo map of the area, the topography just screams "caves" and there are probably many nearby.

Also, just a bit furhter west is Tortuga Spring Farm and Terrapin Spring. Do you know anything about those?