dolling park trails

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

RE: dolling park trails

Post by Mindscape »

Ooh baby, ooh baby. Let's see you work that sexy sewage-treatment body.
"I'm going deeper underground.
There's too much panic in this town."
ShadowBearer
Stubbles
Stubbles

Re: RE: dolling park trails

Post by ShadowBearer »

gimpface wrote:
Sertile wrote:Sounds like my uncle's "hunting car."
A buddie of mine has an uncle who has not a hunting car but a "Shootin' car". It's kind of like a doorbell- when you pull into the driveway, you pop a couple of rounds into the car to let him know you're there.
You should've flagged him down
Yeah, I can see that conversation now:

gimpface: "Beggin' yer pardon sir, but I seem to have lost my way. Might I trouble you for a ride?"

Creepy Quarry Guy: *BOOM!*

or, worse yet...

Creepy Quarry Guy: "Anyone ever tell you you gots a purty mouth?"
Which nessecitates driving around with a loaded gun.
the green god
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by the green god »

it is indeed springfield's first waste water treatment facility.
a fool never knows what he misses
and a wise man never misses what he knows
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Post by bluecookies »

the green god wrote:it is indeed springfield's first waste water treatment facility.
not trying to insult your knowledge or anything, but how do you know this, where do you get your info from? :)
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

bluecookies wrote:
the green god wrote:it is indeed springfield's first waste water treatment facility.
not trying to insult your knowledge or anything, but how do you know this, where do you get your info from? :)
I was wondering the same thing... where did you find this information... some kid might want to do a report on the history of waste management in Springfield and will need to site sources... :D
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I'm not sure where green god got his info on it being sewage treatment, but I believe there was an article in the News-Leader. That's where I read it, I'm pretty sure. The article wasn't specifically about the old sewage treatment plant, it was just an "oh, by the way" in an article on another topic. Could have been on the Greenway trail, or in the Outdoors section about Doling Park. It couldn't have been more than a year ago, because my memory doesn't go back that far most days.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

http://www.ci.springfield.mo.us/egov/pu ... story.html

or, if you don't care to type all that in, article states:

The first Northwest Treatment Plant was built near Doling Park at an unknown date. In the early 1930's the NW plant moved to a location near Fulbright Spring where it remained in operation until 1987, when it was replaced with a new facility located on the Sac River west of Highway 13.

Interesting that it was built at an unknown date. Perhaps it was built by pre-Columbian Celts, and then utilized by early settlers around Springfield.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Thing is how accurate is the News-Leader's info? Some of this stuff isn't very accurate sometimes... that's why they said unknown date.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
pdx_prog
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by pdx_prog »

As a kid we explored all around the Doling park area, and I can't place the structures you are talking about. We used to skate at the old rink just about every Saturday. It was one of the coolest skating rinks I have ever skated in. Old wood floors that you could get up some great speed on, and twice as long as most rinks. The old amusement park was always my favorite. We would walk up to the park just about every day in the summer to go swimming, then we would walk over to the amusement park, play skee ball, put pennies in the old nickelodeons, ride through the fun house, ride the tilt-o-whirl and sneak into the cave. I can remember walking for hours in there. Seemed to never end. I grew up in the Beverly Hills subdivision behind the old rendering plant at the end of Grant. We had caves and springs that we explored every day in the summers, and in the woods between there and the fulbright water facility was one of the old city streetcars. It just sat there in the woods for years and years. I don't remember the name on it but we used to play in and around it all the time. Springfield was a great place to grow up. It always seemed like time stood still there. It always seemed immune to the chaos going on in other parts of the country.
ouvgotmel
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by ouvgotmel »

Has anyone ever tried to crawl in the small cave with the little spring coming out of it. If you drive down the furtherest road to the left go to the parking lot way over to your left is a hill with a small rock formation. there are 2 old water fountains and a little spring. the cave looks small but if you really like caving you might try to crawl in it and see if it gets bigger.
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Post by bluecookies »

ouvgotmel wrote:Has anyone ever tried to crawl in the small cave with the little spring coming out of it. If you drive down the furtherest road to the left go to the parking lot way over to your left is a hill with a small rock formation. there are 2 old water fountains and a little spring. the cave looks small but if you really like caving you might try to crawl in it and see if it gets bigger.
are we talking a different location altogether than the big cave? I'm just not picturing where this is.
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Post by bluecookies »

pdx_prog wrote:As a kid we explored all around the Doling park area, and I can't place the structures you are talking about.
Its north of doling, but between the park and the tunnel that goes under I-44. With the new paved area they put in back there its pretty easy to spot, but it doesn't sound like your Springfield anymore either though.
ouvgotmel
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by ouvgotmel »

As you pull into the park where their redoing the 2 rock and wooden things at the entrance, stay on road to the left like going to the old skating rink that is gone. park in lot look toward the street with the houseswhich is west of park you will see a small hill and a little ditch in the hill you will see a small rock formation it has a spring running out of it there are a few bushes but I saw it plain as day and walked over there to check it out and it is a small cave you could probably crawl through it. I was just there today. It is kind of cool looking. you can only see about 3 or 4 back into it.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Actually, you may be right about a second cave. While I've never seen the spring you're referring to, I have noticed that in the SMSU library's map room in the cave maps they have two seperate maps for Doling Cave, but they don't connect, which lead me to believe there was a second cave somewhere. If I remember correctly it wasn't very big, but you could crawl back into it a ways (according to the map).
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
dawgchain
The Pumkin King
The Pumkin King

Post by dawgchain »

They left up the rock face of the building and are turning it into an outdoor museum consisting of many things that used to reside in that park.

Like bumper cars, the ice rink, the boas and several other things.... and no all park board members are dumb....just the ones who take calls and letters.... the smart ones have desk jobs and only get to tell their sons, and sons best freinds(me) the interesting things.

by the way, the guy who owns the cement things lives on the corner where evergreen turns torwards doling, and he doesn't like people on his "dirt bike trails" where they are...... and he is pissed about the paved trails... he tries to claim all of that land is his.....