Greene County Historical Trivia

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Twail Wetard
The Clit Commander
The Clit Commander

Re: Greene County Historical Trivia

Post by Twail Wetard »

Yeah that's the cave, trying to figure a name out or some more info on it.
THE THREAD KILLER!
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

I don't know the name of it, but you could check with the Local History Dept. at the Library Center of the Springfield/Greene County library. Also you could check in the maps dept. at Missouri State's Meyer Library (also could check with archives up on the 4th floor). The other good reference is the Springfield-Greene County History Museum 4th floor of old City Hall.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
RV driver
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by RV driver »

jammer_smith wrote:That's exactly what my source says on the Fish Hatchery as well.

And as far as the name for Winoka/Wild Cat Cave, the book I'm getting this from was published in 1910 or so, so I think we can probably forgive a name change in 100 years. What is really interesting is that Winoka was a known attraction that long ago. It's kinda sad that it's just a run down patch of woods now, it was probably really something to see in it's prime. Of course back then it was a remote valley miles out in the woods south east of the city. Hey back then Hall of Fame caves didn't even exist as they would have still been underground pockets and not yet exposed to the air by road blasting.

It was a known attraction because it contained springs and caves and had a river nearby. These features are all regarded by indigenous peoples as “thin places,” where the separation between the physical and spiritual worlds was very thin. Spirits dwelt in springs, caves and rivers. These
Laces are imbued with a lot of energy, and are known for their strong medicine. Same reason why Eureka Springs became known. People are intuitively drawn to the energy.

The place seems “creepy” because of all the energy, but especially because of the destructive fires and the dilapidation, abandonment,and encroachment of partiers, and people who desecrated the place, as well as the curious. These people,by and large,don’t honor the land — they take from it. The land has become angry.

If we began to honor the land, and show gratitude for what it has given us, it may heal. When it heals, it won’t seem as”creepy,” I’ll bet.
Slipping the surly bonds of earth...
RV driver
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by RV driver »

jammer_smith wrote:That's exactly what my source says on the Fish Hatchery as well.

And as far as the name for Winoka/Wild Cat Cave, the book I'm getting this from was published in 1910 or so, so I think we can probably forgive a name change in 100 years. What is really interesting is that Winoka was a known attraction that long ago. It's kinda sad that it's just a run down patch of woods now, it was probably really something to see in it's prime. Of course back then it was a remote valley miles out in the woods south east of the city. Hey back then Hall of Fame caves didn't even exist as they would have still been underground pockets and not yet exposed to the air by road blasting.
Slipping the surly bonds of earth...