Jordan Creek Tunnels, something weird

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Jordan Creek Tunnels, something weird

Post by Anne »

Ok, I've just typed this up so I probably left out a couple things and when I've gone over and revised it I'll post that on my blog but here's what happened to me, David Keetz, and Underdog tonight. *edit* revised somewhat, I'll go back over in the morning and if ther'es somethign I left out let me know guys* Sorry for some confusion, I start writting or typing and my thoughts go faster than what I can type out and sometimes they don't make sense.

August 20th

I was driving around and thought I had found a way into a couple unused buildings and called up Underdog to see if he wanted to go. He mentioned going through a few side tunnels in Water Street Tunnels and I said “yea I’ve been wanting to do that for a while now� Called up David Keetz and we met up and headed down to the tunnels.

So we go through and get to the second room where Hell’s Church is right above. All of us shined our flashlights up into the crawlspace and didn’t see anyone or see any flashlights thinking there might be some kids up there. We kept hearing splashing of water running over debris, and then we heard someone talking. Thought, “oh fellow explorers� and yelled a couple times and didn’t hear anything so we ignored that. There was a side tunnel, and we contemplated going in there but decided against it. We stayed in the main parts of the tunnel throughout all of this, no side tunnels. The left side of the main tunnel at the split off looked promising, but after a seeing how wet we were going to get we doubled back and went down the right side of the split. Going down the right side we heard more splashing in front of us and then really loud vibrating thudding noises behind near Hell’s Church. I mean loud, and they weren’t coming from above the tunnels, there’s no streets, no trains going above and no person could jump up and down making that noise, above or inside. And it wasn’t consistent with a car going over a manhole or music. We laughed it off as some bored kids, but then the thudding came louder and a bit closer. We flicked off our flashlights and waited for a light to shine, but none came and my breath was getting faster and my heart beating loud enough for me to hear.

We hauled ass and ran. Stopping once in a while to look behind, and nothing was there. The end of the tunnel came quickly, more quickly than before when I had gone through. And I don’t run, but I ran fast. We walked around outside for a bit discussing what had happened and got mad about getting scared about some stupid kid. And none of our friends knew we were coming here, it was a last minute plan. No pranks from White Rabbit this time either, he was busy. What do we do? Of course, we go back to the entrance. Duh, we wanted to scare this little punk who thought it was funny.

The second time I was a bit freaked out, since I don’t have that manly “I’ll show them for scaring me�. But I didn’t want to stand outside at the entrance waiting for the boys. I thought, I’m safe enough, and it’s just some moron trying to be funny. As we got closer we heard the thudding again and water splashing, we passed where the water was running over sticks and debris but the splashing kept going in front of us. Stopping and listening, it’d go for a bit and stop. The closer we got the more we heard it and finally David Keetz said screw this and we ran back towards the entrance. I was starting to get mad at being scared and running. We all go back to our cars, Underdog got a tripod leg, David got part of a mic stand, and I grabbed a huge wrench. And we blindly headed back down into the tunnels.

Now this is the third time we’re down here. It was quiet and everything felt fine at first. And then we reached pretty close to the first room and heard something coming from further down. Not the thudding noises but voices. And then we heard voices coming from the entrance. There was no way where we staying down there trapped with something or someone on both sides of us. Walked very quickly back to the entrance and we listened for footsteps on the split tunnel and didn’t hear anything and we looked everywhere. After making it safely back to the street we were going to hang around near the entrance right above it. Making it over by the fence we heard someone yelling, that kind of yelling made me and the boys think of a crazy schizoid on crack.

So we had checked both sides of the split off tunnels and didn’t see anyone at all, no lights coming from anywhere and didn’t hear any footsteps at all. If anyone had jumped down from Hell’s Church they would have made a splashing sound or one big thump. And I’ve heard that thump plenty of times to know how it should sound, we all have. We checked everything around all corners and if someone had hid, where? My flashlight is extremely bright and we can see for a long ways, too long for someone to run and hide. And footsteps, we would have heard footsteps and splashing of water. If someone was sitting up and dropping bricks or rocks, they would have rolled to the water and splashed. Something was not right about tonight at all. It was like something was reading our minds, that it knew we were coming even with the thumping noises, but that last time with the voices at both sides, it was too much.

Then another crazy thing. I wanted to go somewhere possibly safe, so on to check out that building I thought might be a possibility. A security guy was there and I probably wouldn’t have gone anyways, I was shaky and freaked out enough by now. Then we talked about going somewhere to just sit and talk. I’m heading back towards our cars and green light for us going west. I was looking forward and David and Underdog were looking to the left at the car coming full speed. Luckily David got my attention in time where I slammed on the brakes just as this guy did. He must have been drunk. That so did not help my shaking and quickly beating heart. Found a brightly lit place to talk and try and figure this whole thing out. Nothing logical fit. Tonight was just not our night.
Last edited by Anne on Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Anne has left the building.
David Keetz
Mercurial Disciple
Mercurial Disciple

RE: Jordan Creek Tunnels, something weird

Post by David Keetz »

i've never been freaked out down there at all...before this
basically what it boils down to is that there was most definitely something or somebody in that area of the tunnel.....

and we couldn't find it....i can't really describe how loud these thudding noises were but they were from inside.....but it sounded just like some huge guy stomping his feet and walking up the tunnel toward us.....the problem is that there was water going through the middle of the tunnel, we never saw any light whatsoever and something was making the same kind of noise (almost in response to our own noises) when we came back
I think something clever is supposed to go right here.
Sirius
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Sirius »

freakin awesome. wish i could've been there though i would've been just as scared i'm sure.
Cake_Pan
Lush
Lush

Post by Cake_Pan »

eep!!! thats all i can say.. Im sorry anne.. thought sounds creepy
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

I want to go back about the same time you guys did and see if we can reproduce it.
Underdog
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS

Re: RE: Jordan Creek Tunnels, something weird

Post by Underdog »

White Rabbit wrote:I want to go back about the same time you guys did and see if we can reproduce it.
Yes! I would love to go back again just to figure out what all of that was. After having a good nights rest I am just mad at who ever or what ever scared us like that. I just want to know what "it" was. When I do go back I will be taking my rather large knife again too. Ok, WR asked me to try and clarify some of the events so I'll also tell my own accounts. It's just hard to write in words what pure terror we felt in those tunnel...and I don't get scared.

So it starts out with all three of us..Anne, Keetz, and I going in the tunnel to see where the little side tunnels ran to just as Keetz and I had done the very previous night. We went all the way through both rooms with no trouble. We walked passed the Hell's Church entrance and I looked inside with my flashlight to see if anything was moving, but it seemed totally empty. No lights, no nothing. Keetz and I had been in there just the day before and nothing seem disturbed since the time I was in there two weeks ago with Willard.

We continued until we got to the area where the two tunnels branched again and while hopping over the water Keetz thought he heard a voice. Since our echoes were bouncing all over the place I figured it was just our nerves. All I heard were our echoes. We shrugged it off and went a little ways into the left tunnel until the whole thing was covered in water. We decided we would have better luck with the right tunnel and went back. We started down the right tunnel and went for maybe a hundred or so feet when we heard it. A very loud "slamming noise" started. It was very inconsistent. "Bam, Bam,.........Bam." It was VERY loud and echoed through the tunnel. It seemed very close to us. It sounded like (as Keetz said) a very large man slamming his foot down on the cement as hard as he possibly could. It wasn't a metallic sound but rather a dense rubber sound hitting the ground. It wasn't far at all from us.

We all set there frozen in fear. We all three shut our flashlights off to pick us a glimmer of their light but we were in total darkness. We couldn't even see a glimmer of any light, not even reflected on the tunnel walls. The "bamming" sound started again but this time it was even closer to us. It was moving towards us. I was sure of that. We then quickly decided to turn our flashlights back on and run like hell towards the tunnel exit. We kept looking back as we ran but no one followed.

After getting out and regaining composer our fear and been replaced by hate. Keetz and I wanted to find the person responsible and tell them what we thought of them. I don't think Anne wanted to go back but she also didn't want to be left alone either. We all three walked back the way we had originally entered the tunnel. Hopefully we would catch them off guard by coming up from behind them. So we entered again, this time with my $1 store pocket knife drawn out. At least 20 min. had passed so I really doubted we'd find anything. We entered the tunnel again and were coming up on the first room when we heard the "thumping noise" again. It sounded quite far down the tunnel but it was unmistakable. We shut off our flashlights but still didn't see any light source. This time there was also a very low pitched rumbling. I've heard Jordan Creek's subwoofers reverberate in the tunnel before but this wasn't it! Not sure if that noise had anything to do with anything though.

We heard the thumping noise a few more times and then ran back outside. We came back a third time but this time with what I'd like to call "big beating sticks" and will leave it at that. Now by the third time I was REALLY pissed and tired and was dead set on finding this person/people. We entered again and got almost to the first room again. This time there was no running water and so everything was eerie quite. We then heard a voice from the very way we had just come. I couldn't make out what they said but it sounded like a guy. We all heard it and it was defiantly a person of some sort. Great, now we had strange noises from "both" sides of us. I think we had just had too much that night so we left. We even checked the left tunnel to see if the voice had come from there but again no person, no light source. Just a bunch of blackness. We did end of hearing some strange guy yelling inside Hotel of Terror but it was a much deeper voice from the one we heard.

Well that’s the story. I don't know if it was an animal, or a bunch of people playing a reality show prank on us or what. I don't think it was a ghost but what do I know. The strangest part was that other than the "bamming" we never heard a single footstep or slash of water. This was very hard to believe since the water was just about everywhere.
"I'm federal agent Jack Bauer, and today is the longest day of my life." -Jack Bauer
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

That's pretty freaky. You must have pissed off the ghost of Christmas past or something.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Hmm... from the way you described the noise it almost sounds like someone swinging a sledgehammer or rubber mallet, strange as that may be. I really can't think of anything else that would make that kind of sound. Is it possible there could've been construction going on in the basement of the Paper Company, and that's what you were hearing? I'm under the impression they were going to start remodelling it.

Whatever it was, you were smart to leave when you did. Those tunnels could be a dangerous place, potentially.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

I think the only reason why we left the second time was probably because I looked like I was going to pass out. Mom thinks it was a coke head and my friend thinks it was a nerd stalker. :roll:
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

So, would that be a nerd who is also a stalker, or one who stalks nerds?
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

Sertile wrote:So, would that be a nerd who is also a stalker, or one who stalks nerds?
It wouldn't have been me they were stalking. ;)
No my friend said that it was a stalker who is a nerd. But this is coming from a guy who dressed up like Erkle *sp?* for the heck of it one day.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

I dressed up as Robot Frank once for the heck of it and went to Battlefield Mall that way.

http://www.robotfrank.com/
Underdog
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS

Post by Underdog »

Sertile wrote:I dressed up as Robot Frank once for the heck of it and went to Battlefield Mall that way.

http://www.robotfrank.com/
nerd.
"I'm federal agent Jack Bauer, and today is the longest day of my life." -Jack Bauer
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

nerd.
Stalk me, bitch.
Underdog
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS

Post by Underdog »

Sertile wrote:
nerd.
Stalk me, bitch.
Sorry, I just couldn't resist.