Unidentified Abandoned Building

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Re: Unidentified Abandoned Building

Post by lolabelle »

Those 5 drives listed on that site are on my list of things to do in fall! Anyone else ever done those?
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Post by slow_walker »

No, but I may have to add them to my own list. I love to go on drives.
RV driver
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by RV driver »

slow_walker wrote:I was taking a friend home the other day and she showed me a shortcut to her house I was unfamiliar with. Took me all the way down East Division street to Hwy 125, then turned me south towards Hwy 60. Right after we turned onto 125, I spotted THIS BUILDING. Click on the marker & choose the street view.

Friend said she thought it was an old school. Anyone familiar with it at all?
Yes! That's an area I always heard was called "Gulf." The building is an old canning factory.
RV driver
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Unidentified Abandoned Building

Post by RV driver »

And about 40 years ago, you could clearly read "GUlf" on the tower.
RV driver
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by RV driver »

slow_walker wrote:I was taking a friend home the other day and she showed me a shortcut to her house I was unfamiliar with. Took me all the way down East Division street to Hwy 125, then turned me south towards Hwy 60. Right after we turned onto 125, I spotted THIS BUILDING. Click on the marker & choose the street view.

Slipping the surly bonds of earth...
RV driver
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by RV driver »

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I was interested in that building since I was a kid in the early 70s. There was, indeed, an old water tower nearby, with the Gulf petroleum logo on it. The place was always called “Gulf Station” by the kids I knew. I heard two stories about the building. It was either a canning factory or a shoe factory.
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Post by Chris »

I would bet that was an oil pipeline pumping station. There is a building that is remarkably similar that I've looked into in the past and that's what it turned out to be.

ETA:

Yup, definitely a pipeline pumping station.

Check it out.

https://www.historicaerials.com/locatio ... 74/1959/17
RV driver
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by RV driver »

Chris wrote:I would bet that was an oil pipeline pumping station. There is a building that is remarkably similar that I've looked into in the past and that's what it turned out to be.

ETA:

Yup, definitely a pipeline pumping station.

Check it out.

https://www.historicaerials.com/locatio ... 74/1959/17
So, how does the map identify it as a pumping station? Or is that a guess on your part? I’ve done just a bit of research into that place. No one seems to know definitively what it was, why it was there, or what it was called. I’d be real interested to have some real history on the place. Cool view, though!

EDIT: Paydirt! The News Leader ran an article. Here’s the link: https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/ ... 433379002/

It was a pumping station.