Heer's Building

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
DeathByMoth
BANNED
BANNED

Re: Heer

Post by DeathByMoth »

Construct, you are absolutely right. I've been through the place many times, and it seems that, at least at this point, it would be next to impossible to get that place to code. You work on the same buildings, so you know how much work could actually go into this thing. It could take years to even get the place to code, before any real building could actually begin. It would require more time, money and work, by a huge margin, to rebuild it than to actually remove and reconstruct it. It is a shame, I too would have loved to see the place revamped. And Lola, those signs have been there for at least 6 years. They are leasing the uncompleted space, for future use. It's really more of a ploy to gather maintenance funding than a legitimate investment.
- Y U NO LIKE RANDY?!?!
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

RV driver wrote:Riverside Inn, Robert Hall, Shady Inn, Ed Vs, Ebenezer's, Bombay Bicycle Club, Gee's, Cat & Fiddle ... and it's all being replaced by: Touch, Hollister, Gallery Bistro, Joseph Banks, Lone Star, Electric Cowboy, Hong Kong Inn, and the Outland.
Jesus!
hmmm, Touch has really good food though. Except for that peanut butter & jelly muffin they like to sell you on though, that's merely "ok".

A good place to go eat that they tore to build a cell phone store was Trotters, they had the best buffet ever. At least the one I ate at turned into a phone store, there was another one that is now some other kind of eatery.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

shows how often I go downtown, and how much I pay attention!
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

RV driver wrote:Riverside Inn, Robert Hall, Shady Inn, Ed Vs, Ebenezer's, Bombay Bicycle Club, Gee's, Cat & Fiddle ... and it's all being replaced by: Touch, Hollister, Gallery Bistro, Joseph Banks, Lone Star, Electric Cowboy, Hong Kong Inn, and the Outland.
Jesus!
so I only remember some of these, and some of them I either can't remember exactly where they were or I've never heard of them. maybe you can offer more info?

Robert Hall: never heard of this
Shady Inn: was this over on S Campbell, or off W Sunshine? I can't remember
Ed Vs: never heard of this
Ebenezer's: I just barely remember this place, think I went as a child a time or two. Is it where McSalty's on E Sunshine is now?
Bombay Bicycle Club: is this sort of behind Aunt Martha's, just off Glenstone? Something like Twilight now? Did it have a huge hamburger topping bar?
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

I remember Bombay, I thought it was on Battlefield.

-Ayn Rand
RV driver
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by RV driver »

lolabelle wrote:
Jesus!
so I only remember some of these, and some of them I either can't remember exactly where they were or I've never heard of them. maybe you can offer more info?

Robert Hall: never heard of this
Shady Inn: was this over on S Campbell, or off W Sunshine? I can't remember
Ed Vs: never heard of this
Ebenezer's: I just barely remember this place, think I went as a child a time or two. Is it where McSalty's on E Sunshine is now?
Bombay Bicycle Club: is this sort of behind Aunt Martha's, just off Glenstone? Something like Twilight now? Did it have a huge hamburger topping bar?
Robert Hall: On the corner of Campbell and Sunshine, where the museum now sits. Shady: Just west of Campbell on the south side of Sunshine, where the boat yard now sits. Ed V's: next door to the post office in Glen Isle. Ebenezer's: At the corner of Sunshine and Oak Grove(?) It's an empty lot now. Bombay was on Battlefield where the big pet store is now.
Slipping the surly bonds of earth...
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

Interesting. So what was Robert Hall and Ed V's? Restaurants? I have never heard of either.
RV driver
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by RV driver »

lolabelle wrote:Interesting. So what was Robert Hall and Ed V's? Restaurants? I have never heard of either.
Robert Hall was a discount clothing store, and Ed V's was a men's clothing store.
mjames
Prodigal Son Returns
Prodigal Son Returns

Post by mjames »

Willard wrote:About 12 years ago I estimated the cost of repair/renovation/restoration on the Heer-Andres Building to be about 10 to 20 million dollars. Today, my guess is that it's about 40 to 50 million dollars. The whole situation just pisses me off and makes me sick. The city has fucked things over with Heers and (this is the most sickening thought for me) one day the building may just go the way of the Colonial Hotel. No one in this town really gives a shit about Historic Preservation when it really boils down to it. If they did, there would have already been a well organized fight to save Heers. I've tried a few times, but it goes nowhere, why? Because people would rather see a parking lot there.
Heck, i remember having conversations about this with you almost 5 years ago. I would think that with the Historical Society moving downtown would help the situation. I also thought that them moving in a weird little library downtown might class up the place, but frankly, unless they move the Missouri state offices and the Social Services offices, it's never going to be a really "nice" square to be around.
Back in Black!
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

RV driver wrote:
lolabelle wrote:Interesting. So what was Robert Hall and Ed V's? Restaurants? I have never heard of either.
Robert Hall was a discount clothing store, and Ed V's was a men's clothing store.
Ed V's originally started out as Ed. V. Williams Clothing up on Commercial Street in the late 1880s. Mr. Williams started out on the first floor of the original Odd Fellows lodge for Commercial Street. It's the building to the west of the Citizens Building (Citizens Building was originally the Knights of Pythias hall and was later sold to the Citizens Bank in 1927, Citizens Bank relocated in the late 1960s to the Southwest corner of Boonville and Pacific. They were later bought out in the 1980s or 90s by Commerce Bank). Mr. Williams later moved into the building on the east side of teh Citizens Building. His final location on Commercial street was the old Masonic Hall on the north side of of the street where the Style is now. I think Mr. Williams sold his business in the 1950s and later passed away (this I'm not 100% sure on though). In the mid 1960s when the Glen Isle Center was built, the store was moved out there. I'm unsure if the name was shortened before or after the move to Glenstone from Commercial, though my guess is it was shortened years before the move.

Mr. Williams was also Vice President of the Citizens Bank as well as a long time member of the Springfield Public School Board. Ed. V. Williams Elementary on West Kearney is named after him.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

[quote="lolabelle]Bombay Bicycle Club: is this sort of behind Aunt Martha's, just off Glenstone? Something like Twilight now? Did it have a huge hamburger topping bar?[/quote]

Your thinking of the "New" one. Some people tried to bring it back, but failed (most likely location location location). I knew exactly what RV Driver was talking about. The old place that was on Battlefield, I remember that place too. My parents and their friends used to go there on Friday nights. (and Cartoons too).
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

I always wanted to eat at Bombay when I was little and we visited springfield, but mom would be like, "Next time hun." "Next time" never came. :|

-Ayn Rand
RV driver
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by RV driver »

Willard wrote:[quote="lolabelle]Bombay Bicycle Club: is this sort of behind Aunt Martha's, just off Glenstone? Something like Twilight now? Did it have a huge hamburger topping bar?
Your thinking of the "New" one. Some people tried to bring it back, but failed (most likely location location location). I knew exactly what RV Driver was talking about. The old place that was on Battlefield, I remember that place too. My parents and their friends used to go there on Friday nights. (and Cartoons too).[/quote]
Bombay made the best martinis. Ebenezer's made the best Bloody Marys...
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

nowadays, mudlounge makes a great bloody mary
RV driver
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by RV driver »

Katz, Jupiter, Woolworth's, Venture. Anyone remember those? Or Giant Foods, with the big statue of the bag boy out front? Hungry Henry's? Rubenstein's? Stone's Barbeque? Wet Willy's? The Hi-M Drive In? A&W at the mall?