Post by Kit »

at least it would be an interesting walmart
Kit wrote:I am old
DigitalNinja
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Re: Heer

Post by DigitalNinja »

Update: last discussion on the building renvations, developer missed a HUD deadline?? Oops. Anyone catch anything further? I still have a ton of daylight Picts on my phone if I ever get to a pc to upload them...
DigitalNinja
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by DigitalNinja »

Old info (November 2009):

HBD is general contractor.   

Blueurban development.  It's pronounced "her's"
Main floor is mostly future renovations. 
HUD project. Financing is approved.  

Pool top roof on third. 

Appartments 2nd floor up to tower. 

Some requirements of hiring local "poor" for construction. Prevailing scale manditory.  

Will have an exterior main Hoist lift for personel and materials. 5-6,000 lb capacity? 15 or 16 foot bed. 

Project start to finish 12 months.
Underdog
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS

Post by Underdog »

So why are they putting HUD housing in there? I thought they were going to be classy lofts?
"I'm federal agent Jack Bauer, and today is the longest day of my life." -Jack Bauer
cobcob
Aequitas
Aequitas

Post by cobcob »

Low income people have a class all of their own.
GlassCurtain wrote:I like to masturbate during the sexual harassment films at work.
Pinkspider wrote:check here for geeky crotch eating goodness and crazy fake ass hair
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Underdog wrote:So why are they putting HUD housing in there? I thought they were going to be classy lofts?
Because HUD has been contractors' patsy in the past.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

cobcob wrote:Low income people have a class all of their own.
would that be LOW class????????
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
RV driver
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by RV driver »

BROUSER wrote:No, no, no, Willard. You have it all wrong. The Heer's building was originally an Aztec temple to the sun, built around 5,000 B.C. It is estimated there were at least 3,000 human sacrifices a year. After the Spanish defeated the Aztecs and stole all their gold, the temple was transformed into a Catholic church from 1612 to 1730, and then the Pilgrims moved in and opened Ye Olde Haberdashery and Whatnot Shoppe. Ok, I'm boring myself. Anyone want to pick this up and run with it?
Heer's was always a department store. The fascinating thing is that Hii's was a transmission shop down the street, until they tore it down to make room for a dilapidated homeless shelter...
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

RV driver wrote:
BROUSER wrote:No, no, no, Willard. You have it all wrong. The Heer's building was originally an Aztec temple to the sun, built around 5,000 B.C. It is estimated there were at least 3,000 human sacrifices a year. After the Spanish defeated the Aztecs and stole all their gold, the temple was transformed into a Catholic church from 1612 to 1730, and then the Pilgrims moved in and opened Ye Olde Haberdashery and Whatnot Shoppe. Ok, I'm boring myself. Anyone want to pick this up and run with it?
Heer's was always a department store.
What is Brouser doing here? That would be sarcasm.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
DeathByMoth
BANNED
BANNED

Post by DeathByMoth »

My dad owns a construction company, we actually put a bid in on the renovation project, but they wanted it done cheaper. The plywood they slapped over those windows, yeah, it's already falling off. Jack Ball (the project contractor) recently inquired with my father about another bid on the project. Again, to weatherproof it. There's a waterfall that runs from the very top, all the way to the 2nd floor any time it rains. Actually, the project has become somewhat of an inside joke among local builders. Every few years, somebody new takes over the project, sets up plans for the remodel, gets a budget, starts taking bids, then is immediately crushed by the overwhelming scope of the project, and the cost. So, they weather-proof it so it can wait until they "actually start". In ten years, when that piece of 'history' is even further dilapidated and decrepit, they're still gonna be slappin' plywood on that fucker. This cycle will NOT end with a completed Heers.
- Y U NO LIKE RANDY?!?!
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

Last time I was downtown I noticed they actually had signs up to rent out the condos/lofts.
RV driver
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by RV driver »

lolabelle wrote:Last time I was downtown I noticed they actually had signs up to rent out the condos/lofts.
I wanna rent the tower...
Slipping the surly bonds of earth...
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

About 12 years ago I estimated the cost of repair/renovation/restoration on the Heer-Andres Building to be about 10 to 20 million dollars. Today, my guess is that it's about 40 to 50 million dollars. The whole situation just pisses me off and makes me sick. The city has fucked things over with Heers and (this is the most sickening thought for me) one day the building may just go the way of the Colonial Hotel. No one in this town really gives a shit about Historic Preservation when it really boils down to it. If they did, there would have already been a well organized fight to save Heers. I've tried a few times, but it goes nowhere, why? Because people would rather see a parking lot there.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
RV driver
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by RV driver »

Willard wrote:About 12 years ago I estimated the cost of repair/renovation/restoration on the Heer-Andres Building to be about 10 to 20 million dollars. Today, my guess is that it's about 40 to 50 million dollars. The whole situation just pisses me off and makes me sick. The city has fucked things over with Heers and (this is the most sickening thought for me) one day the building may just go the way of the Colonial Hotel. No one in this town really gives a shit about Historic Preservation when it really boils down to it. If they did, there would have already been a well organized fight to save Heers. I've tried a few times, but it goes nowhere, why? Because people would rather see a parking lot there.
Riverside Inn, Robert Hall, Shady Inn, Ed Vs, Ebenezer's, Bombay Bicycle Club, Gee's, Cat & Fiddle ... and it's all being replaced by: Touch, Hollister, Gallery Bistro, Joseph Banks, Lone Star, Electric Cowboy, Hong Kong Inn, and the Outland.
Jesus!
Slipping the surly bonds of earth...
construct_this
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Heer's Building

Post by construct_this »

I have spent quite a bit of time downtown working on the state buildings in the past. Once we were on the roof of the old Penny's building and noticed that the backside of Heer's has no roof(the waterfall that deathbmoth was speaking of). The next time I made a tool run I stopped and checked the doors and they were completely unlocked. A few days later it poured rain and even flooded the Penny's basement, when I left that evening there was a river coming out of the backside of Heer's. That building is mainly concrete and steel so structurally its probably not bad off, but I bet the mold nuts would get ahold of that a raise hell. Not to mention the lead and asbestos abatement. There is probably a couple million right there in remediation.