Warm-up ride....

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: Warm-up ride....

Post by BROUSER »

Cool. I'm still thinking June 7. We can work out the details on the shuttle as we get closer to the day.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Sounds good. I can probably do June 7, but I'll be out of town come the weekend of the 14th. There's a pretty good chance I'm going to Old Mexico...
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Bump. Reminder for anyone wanting to join on Frisco High Line trail ride, Springfield to Bolivar. Probably just one way, 36 miles or so. I'm thinking leave Springfield about 0900. Surely we can finish in Bolivar by 1400 or so and not ride in the worst heat of the day. Who's in?
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

BROUSER wrote:Bump. Reminder for anyone wanting to join on Frisco High Line trail ride, Springfield to Bolivar. Probably just one way, 36 miles or so. I'm thinking leave Springfield about 0900. Surely we can finish in Bolivar by 1400 or so and not ride in the worst heat of the day. Who's in?
Should put something in Meetup forum about it if the date is set for sure.
ARLT1YJ
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by ARLT1YJ »

I'm planning on being there.... just have to talk my parents into watching my dog for a day.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: Warm-up ride....

Post by Willard »

I'm in!
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Re: RE: Warm-up ride....

Post by slow_walker »

Willard wrote:I'm in!
This made me giggle because I instantly began picturing you riding a bike dressed like this:
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

RE: Warm-up ride....

Post by BROUSER »

and his bike
Attachments
willardbike.jpg
willardbike.jpg (3.26 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
― Ken Ham
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

There's a guy that hangs around the comp sci building at MSU that has one of those bike's. I've seen him riding it in the past.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Re: RE: Warm-up ride....

Post by Willard »

BROUSER wrote:and his bike
I'm afraid I'd break my neck! :P
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

It was just me and ARLT1YJ. Never heard from Sertile on the shuttle, and Willard begged out due to an exhausting work week. So we started at the Walnut Grove Trailhead, and went to Bolivar and back. I thought it was pretty awesome. Bridges, creeks, a few old building foundation and structures that we could see, although I bet would see more if rode in winter. Wildflowers were awesome, lot of spider wort, rose verbena, some cardinal flower, purple coneflowers, daisies, black-eyed susans, coreopsis, butterfly weed, milkweed. Wildlife was mostly lizards, five lined skinks and wood lizards, some snapping turtles, box turtles, two large blacksnakes we startled while they were in the act of procreating. Arlo is a cool guy. I did most of the talking, but he definitely kept up his end of the conversation. Until we got most of the way back. He was riding a true mountain bike, with wider tires, and had more friction and was working harder. Conversation kind of lags when exhaustion sets in. I was starting to wonder if he was going to make it. Still, we did 40 miles in 4 hours, stopping a couple of times. Pretty good pace. I want to do it again, and I'm going to make my goal a full up and back, 70 miles. Physically, I still could have made it further, but my taint was getting pretty sore from the seat. I need to build up some more calluses.
― Ken Ham
ARLT1YJ
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by ARLT1YJ »

The trail is pretty awesome, there should be one like this in every town. I'd say the best months to go would be Oct/Nov. The fall colors and combination of low heat and low bugs would make it perfect.

Thanks for the slower speeds the last 6 miles Brouser, I had a great time. Subway tasted delicious after four hours pedaling in the hot sun.