Nixie sinkhole

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Nixie sinkhole

Post by BROUSER »

If you haven't had a chance, check the News Misleader today, 8/14/06. Nixa sinkhole. 75 FEET DEEP, SWALLOWED A GARAGE, A CAR, AND STILL GROWING. http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... /608140373
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: Nixie sinkhole

Post by White Rabbit »

Oooo! I know what I'm doin' today!
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Check my thread in Other on this! I got one-in-a-million footage of the sinkhole eating the house. :)
kc0uxr
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by kc0uxr »

:shock: That would tottally suck to be the owner of that house! Talk about "assets sinking"! :D
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

RE: Nixie sinkhole

Post by Nicotti »

News Update on the sink in the News Leader today. Apparently they'll be stabilizing it and filling it soon. But they're going to leave the house and the car in there when they do.

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 50374/1007
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Uh... what about the groundwater? That car's going to have oil and gasoline and coolant in it.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Sertile wrote:Uh... what about the groundwater? That car's going to have oil and gasoline and coolant in it.
I say call the EPA on the city of Nixa! haha!
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Nixie sinkhole

Post by piplnr65656 »

I wish I was at home as i could show you guys some pictures of a few sink hole projects i have worked on. The one we did in kanopolis Kansas we pulled out 4 railroad cars(the sink hole opened up with an explosion under the rail yard at a brick factory there).
Sertile wrote:Uh... what about the groundwater? That car's going to have oil and gasoline and coolant in it.
They probably deemed it too dangerous and expensive to recover the car which is normal. For instance for every gallon of diesel spilled on the ground the EPA wants you to dig up the surrounding 8 cubic yards of material and have it sent off to a incinerator to be burned. Well one day our fuel truck was driving up this road and as it was driving over a water bar( another thing required by the EPA) and it broke the valve off of the bottom of the truck spilling 12,000 gallons of diesel into the colorado countryside. Well they figured it would do more damage trying to dig up all that dirt so they let that one slide.

If they fix the sink hole the way we normaly fixed them the car and its fluids will be trapped in the hole anyways. Depending on how large the hole is they will fill it with 2'minus rock ( the sink hole in Kanopolis needed 105,000 cubic yards to fill it) and then once filled they will drill down into the rock every 10 feet or so and pump grout into it to keep groundwater from trickling down through rock and allowing the sink hole to grow again.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Well, some archaeologist is going to get a kick out of this someday.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/