Kirkwood Park

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Kirkwood Park

Post by slow_walker »

Are any of you guys familiar with Kirkwood Park here in Springfield? It is located at the intersection of E. Seminole and S. Glendale Ave.

I have started a habit of driving around aimlessly for about an hour or so after I get off work in the mornings to make myself more familiar with the city. Today, I turned onto Seminole at Fremont and headed east. That's when I discovered this park for the first time. It's not really very big and there's some play equipment for the kids, but what was intriguing to me was that right in the middle of the play area there is a fenced off square of weed infested ground that has "No Trespassing" signs posted on it. It was really odd because it is surrounded by swings and slides and green grass. It's not a real huge square either.

I am curious to find out what the deal is with it. Do any of you know? Is it a sinkhole? Or maybe an open well? Or maybe a gravesight? What is it man?
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Re: Kirkwood Park

Post by Sertile »

Hmm... I've never been there or even heard of the place, but I'm guessing sinkhole. Little ones have been known to pop up all over town. Why don't you go check it out sometime? There might be something awesome in there!
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: Kirkwood Park

Post by Willard »

I know exactly where you're talking about. It's definatly a sink hole and it's been there for several years now. Funny thing about that park... that road was originally US 60/65 back years ago before they extended Glenstone past the National Cemetary and it curved in front of that church and headed south on what is now Lone Pine. Anywho that park was originally established as a roadside park by the highway dept.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
slow_walker

Re: Kirkwood Park

Post by slow_walker »

Schweet Willard! Thanks for the info. I knew someone on the boards would know about it because you guys RULE! :mrgreen: