Sarah's Tunnel?

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Nodus
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Sarah's Tunnel?

Post by Nodus »

I was out with a guy and some friends tonight, and he told the story of the Heartbeat Tunnel (the Fassnight tunnel under Phelps Grove Park), but called it Sarah's Tunnel.

Apparently, the story goes that a guy and his girlfriend were babysitting the guy's little sister, named Sarah. They decided they wanted to go to the park to do a little hanky panky, and just let Sarah go run off and do whatever. It started getting rather dark, and they couldn't find Sarah. They started looking for her, but after a while they heard a loud scream in the tunnels. They ran and searched through the tunnels, but never found her.

He pointed out the crude spray-painted figure as "the remains of Sarah." He said that the "heartbeat" you can hear is her heartbeat.

Anyone ever heard that story, or one like it? I did a quick search of the forums for something like that, but never found anything, so I thought I'd share it.

Something more for the Springfield Mythology Books.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: Sarah

Post by BROUSER »

I've never heard anything like that. Good story, though.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Grey
Drunk #3
Drunk #3

Post by Grey »

I think I remember reading a story about those tunnels only involving a bride I believe, and if the moonlight is just right that you can see her in the stones.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: Sarah's Tunnel?

Post by Willard »

That's a new story on me... Damn there needs to be a better book just involving Green County Myths and Legends... there's plenty of them... there'd even have to be a special chapter just about the Albino Farm!
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

Fassnight tunnel... what a pain in the ass. I wish I had one of those bike car things to explore this tunnel. I'll be damned if I'm going to crouch for god only knows how many miles just to figure out where this damn thing goes.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

I've crouched it. It doesn't go all that far, really, just a few blocks. It FEELS like miles, though. I seem to remember it coming out near a Lutheran church a few streets over from the park. At least, I know it goes under the church. Come to think, I'm pretty sure it just comes out in some neighborhood. It's worth doing at least once, anyway.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Hell I just walk over the tunnel... you can see the top of it because it looks like a concrete drive.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
O_highway
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by O_highway »

a long time ago when my sister was in college (about 7 years ago) she took me to that tunnel. she told me the story about the bride.
Masterbation is like racing from a roll...no matter how much you do it, its never better than the real thing...but yet i still do it...
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Sertile wrote:I've crouched it. It doesn't go all that far, really, just a few blocks. It FEELS like miles, though. I seem to remember it coming out near a Lutheran church a few streets over from the park. At least, I know it goes under the church. Come to think, I'm pretty sure it just comes out in some neighborhood. It's worth doing at least once, anyway.
I've been just over a mile inside of it, though. I know because I went back and measured with the car to the point I gave up at.

The first half of it takes like less than a minute if you use a skateboard. From there, it's way too rough, and it's miserable and wet.
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

I'm seriously considering building some sort of adult sized recumbant tricycle to check it out. I'm far too lazy to crouch the whole way. Unfortunately I have a considerable backlog of projects I'm working on at the moment, so it will be a long while before I can get around to it.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Post by Mindscape »

There's a guy who bikes all over Springfield running around somewhere. He has at least three different recumbant cycles of various wheel counts. See if you can find him, and he might go with you.
"I'm going deeper underground.
There's too much panic in this town."