Acid Tunnel... Argh.

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Acid Tunnel... Argh.

Post by White Rabbit »

Okay, so, after all this time, and after all the time I spent requesting information and looking for the damn thing, it turns out there's a chance I might not have the location of the Acid Tunnel right.

I got this News-Leader article from the library, intending to put it up on the site, and I read something really disturbing in the article:

[The Acid Tunnel]'s a pretty well-kept secret, this place. Cops and school counselors shake their heads when asked about the tunnel's whereabouts. They know about some of the other underground hangouts, like Piggyland, a series of stormwater tunnels beneath Interstate 44.

"Man, that's for little kids," Sin scoffs when Piggyland is mentioned. "Cool people don't hang out there, except to tag."

So what the hell? Do I have the real, true Acid Tunnel on my site? Or do I have this Piggyland place on there and mistakenly refer to it as the Acid Tunnel? The place on my site does run under I-44, but the article doesn't say whether the Acid Tunnel runs under it as well.

I would love if someone knew, for sure, where both the Acid Tunnel and Piggyland are located. If no one knows, I'm just going to put it up on the How You Can Help section of my site.
Spectral
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Acid Tunnel... Argh.

Post by Spectral »

Heh, what the hell is Piggyland? :) Anyway, I did some research, and found an article about the Acid Tunnel. The wierd thing is though, I think it may be like yours, but not. It talks about that same Sin kid, but makes no mention of Piggyland. Check out the link and some excerpts:

http://www.pewcenter.org/doingcj/pubs/stop/spring.html
Davis had very specific marching orders: Find the "Acid Tunnel," the little-known gathering place of Springfield's most feckless teens; the place they went to smoke pot and spray paint nihilistic poem fragments on the cement walls of a storm-water drain that ran under the interstate.
A young graffiti artist decorates the walls of the "Acid Tunnel," a storm-water conduit in northeast Springfield where teenagers hang out. The 18-year-old, who calls himself "Sin," was one of the dozens of teens captured by reporters and photographers in the News-Leader's 3-7 special section in October 1995.
There's even a picture by that previous part. I'd almost be certain that you've found the real Acid Tunnel.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

That article you posted says the Acid Tunnel runs underneath the interstate, too. That's relieving, which means I probably do have the location right. I just wish I knew where this Piggyland place was, so I could be 100% sure.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Piggyland, sounds like some place where cops hang out hehe :lol:
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Sparkle
Stray Cat
Stray Cat

Post by Sparkle »

Just recently did I see the pictures of this "acid tunnel" and I must say... It looks like an acid tunnel if I ever saw one! :lol:

I am also curious about this "piggyland" though too Rabbit. Any estimates on how close they are together? or how long highway 44 through springfield is? :?
-=Let them hate, as long as they also fear=-
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

I-44 runs 6.5 miles from US 65 to US 160

Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

i went to hillcrest and the only tunnel we ever went to on the north side was the large tunnel that runs under i-44 just east of 65 near the american inn
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Acid Tunnel... Argh.

Post by White Rabbit »

Kit wrote:i went to hillcrest and the only tunnel we ever went to on the north side was the large tunnel that runs under i-44 just east of 65 near the american inn
Yeah, that's the one I have listed on my site as the Acid Tunnel. I'm about 99% sure it's the right place, but I wish I had the location of this Piggyland place just to be sure.
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

my husband is a cop .. but he isnt from here. i will see if he can ask around and find out where it is.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Acid Tunnel... Argh.

Post by White Rabbit »

Kit wrote:my husband is a cop .. but he isnt from here. i will see if he can ask around and find out where it is.
Yikes!

Kidding. As long as he's not out to get us :P
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

my husband is a cop .. but he isnt from here. i will see if he can ask around and find out where it is.
He should know where Piggyland is! Just kidding, but that would be kinda funny. lol

Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

he is a good cop.. doesnt even usually write speeding tickets since he likes to go fast himself.

he did say he chased some people out of the mill there at chestnut and national a while back when i was showing him your pics.. and said be careful all the bird poop makes it dangerous to breathe in. :)

he has been working so i havent had a chance to ask yet
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

All right, we got us an insider :P
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

My husband had not heard about it. But i asked him to ask around to some of the older cops that might have grown up here.

Also i shot an email off to my one of my old HS teachers at Hillcrest to see if he or any of his students knew anything
ally
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by ally »

wr---- i really think that you have the right place. i did a search and found some pictures of piggyland and acid tunnle....you have pics of a couple "doors to hell" painted on the walls. piggyland has no pictures drawn on the walls. the "sin" kid said, "piggyland is just a place for kids and tagging". tagging is just words....its kinda like its very own poetry.
~~~~ally~~~~