Lost Spanish Mine by Federal Prison Hospital

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
SandMan
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Re: Lost Spanish Mine by Federal Prison Hospital

Post by SandMan »

BROUSER wrote:The prison is actually the Federal Medical Center, where we have had such notable people as Larry Flynt, John Gotti, and all kinds of fund people.
Also that bird guy was there.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

FiReDiVeR wrote:Is the said prison still active(open)?
Yes very much active. They go all the way from minimum to maximum security there. My mom used to be a pharmacist there as well for a few years. I somehow doubt that it will ever close. It's one of very few federal medical prisons in the country.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
ShadowBearer
Stubbles
Stubbles

Re: RE: Lost Spanish Mine by Federal Prison Hospital

Post by ShadowBearer »

Willard wrote:Anyone actually been out looking for said cave/mine yet?
Yes, we think we found it and that it has collapsed.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: Lost Spanish Mine by Federal Prison Hospital

Post by Willard »

Bummer... :(

BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Well, post the location or PM me directions. I'm just curious where it is.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Yeah, I'm really curious where it's at, too.
ShadowBearer
Stubbles
Stubbles

Post by ShadowBearer »

gimpface would be better at directions, although I would be more than willing to take people back there.
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

I've been quiet on this subject because I'm still pretty iffy about it and I want to do a little more research and scouting before I say anything for certain. The area we checked out has a lot of sinkhole type depressions but not really any caves to speak of (with the exception of the one that
might be a collapsed cave)... so I'm not really convinced I've got it yet.

I'm trying to locate a few landmarks with a little more certainty. Is there anywhere I can get old (circa 1935) topos of Springfield?

Also, I'm starting to doubt the writer's geography skills... the cave is alternately referred to as a "cave" and a "mine" and there are descriptions of passages that supposedly run under the creek. Based on my rather limited recollections of geology, it seems like any passage that ran under a creek would be completely flooded, but the writer makes no mention of water in the cave whatsover. Also the passage that supposedly runs under the creek heads to the southwest... the creek is nowhere near that direction, once again leading me to believe I'm either way off (which I doubt) or the writer is an idiot.

At any rate, if anybody just has to see it, get ahold of me (or Shadow) and we can check it out sometime, although once again, I'm not totally convinced we've got it yet.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

gimpface wrote:I've been quiet on this subject because I'm still pretty iffy about it and I want to do a little more research and scouting before I say anything for certain. The area we checked out has a lot of sinkhole type depressions but not really any caves to speak of (with the exception of the one that
might be a collapsed cave)... so I'm not really convinced I've got it yet.

I'm trying to locate a few landmarks with a little more certainty. Is there anywhere I can get old (circa 1935) topos of Springfield?

Also, I'm starting to doubt the writer's geography skills... the cave is alternately referred to as a "cave" and a "mine" and there are descriptions of passages that supposedly run under the creek. Based on my rather limited recollections of geology, it seems like any passage that ran under a creek would be completely flooded, but the writer makes no mention of water in the cave whatsover. Also the passage that supposedly runs under the creek heads to the southwest... the creek is nowhere near that direction, once again leading me to believe I'm either way off (which I doubt) or the writer is an idiot.

At any rate, if anybody just has to see it, get ahold of me (or Shadow) and we can check it out sometime, although once again, I'm not totally convinced we've got it yet.
Might I recomend MSU as a possible place to seek a 1930's topo map? Also try the USGS website and see if they would be willing to sell you a reproduction of one or if they would e-mail you a copy of a 1930's topo map. Other then that I'm out of ideas.

slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Post by slow_walker »

gimpface wrote:
Hey, I have a great suggestion for you if you don't mind spending a small amount of money.
Look HERE
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

Hey did any of you guys ever bother to look at this link?
"An informative and historical overview of Greene County, Missouri on CD including three separate Ebooks which include 6 historical maps (1851, 1902, 1904, 1913, 1920’s and 1929) showing the locations of 52 Greene County, Missouri settlements; plus the full 1883 "History of Greene County, Missouri" book by the Western Historical Company including 525 Greene County family biographies."

I know they aren't topo maps, but they're still awesome to have and could be useful. In addition to the maps, there is also a lot of historical information and stories included.

I don't have this one for Greene County, but I did buy the set featuring Barry County and it was totally worth it.