Heers

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: Heers

Post by Willard »

Yes the escalators being removed have been planned for over a year now... and no they are not adding a facade on the Olive Street (North) side of Heers, they are just making openings in the building for windows.
All in all the project is shaping up and yes I'm a little disapointed about some things they are doing but I just keep telling myself that at lest the building isn't going to be empty any more and at least it isn't being torn down.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: Heers

Post by White Rabbit »

I hope they didn't just sell the escalators for scrap. That would be a crying shame.
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by piplnr65656 »

Were they the old wooden ones? I never got to go into the old heers building.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

White Rabbit wrote:I hope they didn't just sell the escalators for scrap. That would be a crying shame.
I bet they did... wouldn't suprise me...
piplnr65656 wrote:Were they the old wooden ones? I never got to go into the old heers building.
No, they were metal through and through, but they did at one time have a neat looking plastic swirl vanier on them... I've seen them in the black and whites in 1951 right after the remodel. I will say the escalators were the old narrow one person kind where you couldn't really pass anyone. But they were installed in Heer's in 1951.

Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

What do you want to bet they take the escalators out of Mr. Furniture, too?
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
SandMan
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Post by SandMan »

The last set of drawing for the Heers project called for a set of escalators in about the same area as the old set.
SandMan
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Post by SandMan »

Sertile wrote:What do you want to bet they take the escalators out of Mr. Furniture, too?
As far as I know that is the plan. The escalators in Mr. Furniture are, IMO poorly placed. Just because that the way it is or was doesn't mean it is the best way.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Well as Woolworths, the escalators were in the best place. if they are sub dividing the building then they are no longer useful. If they are leaving it alone and leasing it as one space then they should be fine unless they are so old that they are a high maintanace item in which case they'll be taken out and not replaced. I'm not sure why they took out the escalators at Heers if they are going to put some in the same place. If that's the case then they may just be rebuilding them. Who knows. I'm trying to stay out of what they are doing to Heer's now.

slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Post by slow_walker »

wow, nothing like a good escalator discussion to keep me interested. Fascinating stuff I tell ya! :P
David Keetz
Mercurial Disciple
Mercurial Disciple

Post by David Keetz »

no..those escalators were awesome...

hell, i'd buy them and install them in the farm house just for the historical value......doesn't get much better than vintage escalators
I think something clever is supposed to go right here.
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by piplnr65656 »

David Keetz wrote:no..those escalators were awesome...

hell, i'd buy them and install them in the farm house just for the historical value......doesn't get much better than vintage escalators
What is realy cool are the old narrow wood ones. Even the steps are made of wood. The only place that I know that has them is the macy's store in manatten and they only have a few left.
Underdog
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS

Post by Underdog »

I heard Willard lived in Heers and set up a secret office there. Just a rumor though.
"I'm federal agent Jack Bauer, and today is the longest day of my life." -Jack Bauer
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Underdog wrote:I heard Willard lived in Heers and set up a secret office there. Just a rumor though.
Well... I cannot confirm or deny these rumors... What I can say is...

Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Yeah, I got to ride the wooden escalators at Macy's when I was in NY (all the way to the top!). They still have several. They're really narrow.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Holy crap, what are they doing to the tower?!?

I was downtown over the weekend and I noticed they had COMPLETELY GUTTED the tower section, going so far as to knock out the walls, even. It's like a big transparent cube. Does anyone know what they're putting in up there? An observation deck would be badass, or a clock tower.

Also, the "HEERS" letters appear to be missing from the roof. One can only hope they found their way into Willard's custody.