Heers

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: Heers

Post by Willard »

Nope I don't have the letters and as far as the tower goes, they gutted it because it's going to be condo space too. I know the letters from the tower are getting restored but the other letters from the main roof I don't know what they're doing with those.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Re: Heers

Post by Sertile »

That sucks. The tower should really be open to the public. It would be awesome to have an observation deck over downtown Springfield.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Well it originally was an observation tower (duel function water tower/observation deck) and the roof was a garden restraunt. Both I'm guessing closed to the public in about 1940 when FX Heer sold the business to Allied Stores Inc. or later in 1950 when the store was remodled and the "new" elevators only went to the 6th and 7th floor. Originally you could ride the elevators under the tower from the basement to the roof. Remember that huge ass beam just above the stairs going from the seventh floor up to the roof level?

White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

How is the tower going to be condo space? It's like as big around as a bedroom in there.
DeeDee
Mrs. Willard
Mrs. Willard

Post by DeeDee »

Oh, it can be done. I have seen on one of those home shows where they have turned an ity bitty space into something. :D
It's your mom and I helped!!!!
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Yeah, it's not a huge space but in all seriousness it's probably about as big as most people's apartments. Besides, I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd spend more money for less space just to have the luxury of living in Heer's Tower.

It just sucks that the people in charge of redeveloping Heers are putting the luxury of the elite above the enrichment of Average Joe Springfieldian. What do you want to bet there won't even be any exhibits explaining the building's history?
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

You're probably right Sertile. Though in all fairness, the owner of Heer's is trying to make a little money off of it. The renovations are in the millions of dollars and so he has no choice but to lease every square foot possible.

Funny thing, I've had at least 5 different people tell me I need to get ahold of Mr. Prost and try to be some sort of historical representative for the building.

Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Yeah, I understand that it's a business venture and they have to maximize every opportunity for profit the building offers. I'm also sure it'll be a long, long time before these renovations pay for themselves. It would be nice if they had some kind of exhibit, though. Even if it were something small, like a wall with a collage of pictures and a timeline of the site's history and ownership.
Underdog
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS

Post by Underdog »

Sertile wrote:Yeah, I understand that it's a business venture and they have to maximize every opportunity for profit the building offers. I'm also sure it'll be a long, long time before these renovations pay for themselves. It would be nice if they had some kind of exhibit, though. Even if it were something small, like a wall with a collage of pictures and a timeline of the site's history and ownership.
Jeez, that would take up valuable advertising space on the interior walls. I mean they could be advertising for more condos downtown and wouldn't it be selfish to deprive rich land owners of more money?
"I'm federal agent Jack Bauer, and today is the longest day of my life." -Jack Bauer
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Underdog wrote: Jeez, that would take up valuable advertising space on the interior walls. I mean they could be advertising for more condos downtown and wouldn't it be selfish to deprive rich land owners of more money?
You missed what both of us said. Prost is actually going to loose money on this project for a few year just because of all the money he he has to pour into it to get it going. On top of that renovating any of the buildings downtown is an expensive venture and a lot of those owners are more or less upper middle class and have to charge high rent just to pay for the renovations. What they do with some of the buildings I don't agree with but still you have to spend money to make money and so yeah tenants are paying through the ass to lease space downtown but probably tens of millions of dollars are being spent downtown on renovation as a whole.

Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

It's okay Willard... I think he was joking.
Underdog
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS

Post by Underdog »

Willard wrote:
Underdog wrote: Jeez, that would take up valuable advertising space on the interior walls. I mean they could be advertising for more condos downtown and wouldn't it be selfish to deprive rich land owners of more money?
You missed what both of us said. Prost is actually going to loose money on this project for a few year just because of all the money he he has to pour into it to get it going. On top of that renovating any of the buildings downtown is an expensive venture and a lot of those owners are more or less upper middle class and have to charge high rent just to pay for the renovations. What they do with some of the buildings I don't agree with but still you have to spend money to make money and so yeah tenants are paying through the ass to lease space downtown but probably tens of millions of dollars are being spent downtown on renovation as a whole.

Yeah, I was joking big time. We all know how much I love rich land owners.
"I'm federal agent Jack Bauer, and today is the longest day of my life." -Jack Bauer