FLOATING THE JAMES

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

FLOATING THE JAMES

Post by BROUSER »

Wondering if anyone has ever floated the James River from below the dam on Springfield Lake to any destination? Was thinking about doing it this winter when the leaves are gone, when would be able to see any structures or caves along the river. Seems like there should be something down through there somewhere.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
RaccoonCC
Big Sexy
Big Sexy

RE: FLOATING THE JAMES

Post by RaccoonCC »

Never done it, but I'd like to, i'm sure you could see one of the nature center caves from there, but I dont know about any others.
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: FLOATING THE JAMES

Post by piplnr65656 »

BROUSER wrote:Wondering if anyone has ever floated the James River from below the dam on Springfield Lake to any destination? Was thinking about doing it this winter when the leaves are gone, when would be able to see any structures or caves along the river. Seems like there should be something down through there somewhere.

you want to go farther down the river to float or wait till the river is way up or you will be dragging a lot. I have floated most of the river and jet skied all over it when it is flooding. a good float is from horse creek to galena or blunks or a good all day one is from mable flats or the McCall bridge to galena. Lots of caves and stuff to see and do. I was wanting to get a float trip in before it gets cold
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Ick... floating the James River... that's just as grose as the Finnly River... Ick.. Double Ick!
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
ShadowBearer
Stubbles
Stubbles

Post by ShadowBearer »

Howabout I piss in a barrel and you can go swim? Same effect.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Re: RE: FLOATING THE JAMES

Post by Willard »

ShadowBearer wrote:Howabout I piss in a barrel and you can go swim? Same effect.
Mmm... Water Sports...
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

I've been wanting to float OVER the dam for the longest time. It's really not that tall... I'm pretty sure I could make it.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Post by bluecookies »

let me know if you see any fish with 3 eyes
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by piplnr65656 »

The idea of floating is to keep out of the water. I used to live near the james so it was an easy float when i was in high school. Put in at a friends house, float down the river aways stop walk up the hill, raid a friends refrigerator for "supplies" then float on down to a wild party at blunks.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Please remember....I'd be floating when it is cold. I sure wouldn't get in the water. I've floated a lot of the lower river, Delawaretown on down to Galena. Just curious about upper/urban portion. Yes the river is pretty gross, but at least on that portion would be above where Wilson's Creek feeds in with the "clean" water from the Southwest Treatment Plant. Looking on the google map, there are some areas I'd like to check out. I'd like to put in a tentative plan to float sometime in November. I know there would be a lot of dragging, but if it was easy, everyone would do it. Anyone that wants to join, I'd probably have room for one in the canoe.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Jesta
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Jesta »

Going over the dam would suck, at normal level the water is like knee deep and when the water is up it would suck you in. I floated that strech from the dam to twin bridges ( Rivercut) many times 25 years ago. And there wasnt much to see back then and i would hate to see how it looks now.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

I've floated and swam in the James more times than I can remember, although it was always down in the Galena area.
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Post by tyler »

Get your Ebola vaccination.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I grew up swimming in the James, which may explain some things, like this extra head. Wouldn't surprise me much if it was worse then than it is now, just not watched as close.
― Ken Ham
LimoGuy
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by LimoGuy »

I've swam alot in the james. Above the dam at the gated bridge. I used to jump off of that bridge all summer and play in the winoka camp. I also used to rope swing down at the twin bridges and wade alot. Until the tree that had the swing snapped in a storm. Everyone says how poluted that river is but I never had anything bad happen to me from the James.
"That's called PAIN. Get used to it!"