Old Exotic animal Farm

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
flex1987
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Old Exotic animal Farm

Post by flex1987 »

Hey, I just moved away from Springfield recently but found this cool site. Anyway, I used to do a lot of exploring and what not and found out from a bunch of old people that there used to be an exotic animal farm near Granby, MO (between Neosho and Monett) somewhere in the 1940's or something. It went bankrupt and actually released most of the animals into the wild (nothing real bizarre, but cool animals like elks and stuff). But I was never able to find anytime for my dad or grandparents to take me to were it was because they said it probably didnt have any direct roads to it. I was wondering if anyone knew anymore info about this because my family still lives in Springfield and grandparents in Granby and Ill be still able to visit thanksgivng and whatever and always thought it would be cool to find. Thanks.
"When you boys get back and see a war protester, shake his hand, and then wink at his girlfriend, 'cause she knows she's dating a pussy."
-Lt. General James Mattis, USMC, in a speech to the 1st Marine Division in Iraq
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

RE: Old Exotic animal Farm

Post by White Rabbit »

I don't know if it's true or not, but I hope it is. It makes for a good story.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

I've never heard of it and I don't really know anyone from that area but it would be cool to look for.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
phisherman_77
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by phisherman_77 »

i don't know where the one you speak of is, but if you go on Highway 54 North out of Lake Ozark, there is an abandoned exotic animal park...

look for it right before the exit to Eldon and it's on the east side of the highway

bp
Hiccup
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: Old Exotic animal Farm

Post by Hiccup »

Willard wrote:I've never heard of it and I don't really know anyone from that area but it would be cool to look for.
hell yeah, and if i find a giraffe, im frikkin keepin it
RaccoonCC
Big Sexy
Big Sexy

Post by RaccoonCC »

Random thought on the animals.

Is it possible to tame a raccoon? I know I sound like an idiot, but I need an animal mascot for my group, the reaching and 'cooning cave caver's club (sounds juvinille, i know)

I heard about someone raising a raccoon once and then it finally attacked them....but I would sure enjoy a friendly cat-like one.

:oops: I'm wierd...
I'm not good I'm not nice i'm just right. I'm witch...You're the world.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

I cant really say about a racoon but i do know that if you get a squril at a verry young age they can become verry tame the biggest problem is they are always going to have wild instincts and the drive to surivive is always strong ---the other thing is when they play there teeth are sharp as well as there claws and they may not mena to but they can cut you pretty deep the other thing is it is agind the law to capture and keep a wild animal
Now with all that said yes you can catch a very young racoon and it will make a pet it will probaly scratch and bite you a few times so you will need to make sure it has its shots and you will have to give them cause a vet would have to report a wild animal in captivity
Just remember they are never going to be a dog or a cat and you really can not 100% trust them to do what you want them to do
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by piplnr65656 »

A guy i went to school with had a racoon. It was pretty tame but it was a little stoner racoon.
There was a guy in austraila a few years ago that had a pet alligator that was several years old. he had raised it from an egg and he would take it everywere with him. One day he was sitting at the bar with it an it reached over and bit him and killed him before anyone could get it off.
dawgchain
The Pumkin King
The Pumkin King

Post by dawgchain »

It is possible to tame a raccoon, but very hard and you will get hurt in the process, and it isn't always illegal, you can get permits to raise them, but I don't know the particulars.... have you thought about a coon-dog instead, I know it isn't anywhere near the same but alot easier and safer.

Plus a major danger with Raccoons is that they can revert back to being feril at anytime, as can any wild animal. It is also known to happen to domestic animals, just very rarely and most people just assume rabies and kill them.

On a side note, never startle a rea(no matter how docile)... they are mean lil buggers!
----------This space for rent----------
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

I've pretty much saying the same thing as everyone else, but I've heard the same things about raising raccoons. I've heard that they can be tamed, but that they get really tempermental sometimes, especially when they get older.

I have heard, however, that de-glanded skunks make pretty good pets and that they're a lot like ferrets in personality.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

I knew a girl who kept a raccoon since infancy, and it was pretty tame up to a point, but when it reached adulthood it went berzerk and had to be let go.

BTW, what the hell is "the reaching?"
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Post by bluecookies »

forget the racoon, just steal hiccups giraffe, try and tame that!
RaccoonCC
Big Sexy
Big Sexy

Post by RaccoonCC »

reaching is just a word in our caving club title....to make a long story short, we had a pretty long night and were trying to think of a name for the club where RACCOON could be an acronym. I dont know why....and reaching was the only word we could think of at the time.

Sounds lame, i know.
I'm not good I'm not nice i'm just right. I'm witch...You're the world.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

RaccoonCC wrote:Random thought on the animals.

Is it possible to tame a raccoon? I know I sound like an idiot, but I need an animal mascot for my group, the reaching and 'cooning cave caver's club (sounds juvinille, i know)

I heard about someone raising a raccoon once and then it finally attacked them....but I would sure enjoy a friendly cat-like one.

:oops: I'm wierd...
Your not weird... Underdog and I know a couple who used to have baby raccoons... they are very hard to cage and as far as truely taming them, that is never 100% possible.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Hiccup
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Hiccup »

bluecookies wrote:forget the racoon, just steal hiccups giraffe, try and tame that!
you obviously dont know that i have a bluecookies voodoo doll begging to be repeatedly stabbed :twisted: