Now that I've been in Doling Cave

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

RE: Now that I've been in Doling Cave

Post by Sertile »

Yeah, let me know what you find out. I've been dying to go to Ha Ha Tonka (stupidly missed the trip last year and have been waiting ever since).

Also, I totally climbed all over those new gates when I was waiting for you guys to show up the other day. I wanted to surprise everyone by being up there when they drove up, but I ended up getting bored and coming down before anyone else even showed up.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Re: RE: Now that I've been in Doling Cave

Post by bluecookies »

Reggie wrote:If anyone is able to contact him, you should try to coerce him into taking another vanload to HaHaTonka to tour the caves. I've been waiting to read about another trip, thinking it might be a yearly thing, but maybe he burnt out on it. :(
If you hear anything else on it, let us know :)
Reggie
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Reggie »

Guess I could try to search him out myself, but I don't actually know him other than that one trip.

Speaking of gates.....I was at HaHaTonka a few years earlier and someone left the lock at Island Cave open. Me and a pal scooted in there a ways, but it was super dark and the initial dropoff looked way scary without being able to see the bottom. All I had was a couple flashes from a camera to go by. Anyway, I can't remember if they still let people in there in November. It might close between Nov-March.

Anyone else here know Melvin or see him?
RaccoonCC
Big Sexy
Big Sexy

Post by RaccoonCC »

On the park board website there is a flyer about the trip to ha ha tonka, but it isn't loading on my computer, are you guys having the same problem?
perhaps it has the dates on it. That would be wonderful...
I'm not good I'm not nice i'm just right. I'm witch...You're the world.
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Post by bluecookies »

what part of the park board site is that under? I did see something about some type of Urban Adventure Challenge downtown... wonder what thats about
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Post by bluecookies »

okay that was already past...
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Okay, Mel actually returned my call this time (I rule!), so I can clear up a lot of the nonsense. First of all, the "wild cave experience" clinic that was scheduled for this Saturday, the 12th, is CANCELLED. Second, he's not going back to Ha Ha Tonka this year (the clinic was to be held at Smittle Cave). That's all I know at this point.

WILLARD - a question: What in blue hell is that courtyard-thing they're setting up around the propped-up roller rink wall supposed to be? I'm sorry if this question infuriates you, as it was not designed to do so.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
dawgchain
The Pumkin King
The Pumkin King

Post by dawgchain »

Sertile wrote:WILLARD - a question: What in blue hell is that courtyard-thing they're setting up around the propped-up roller rink wall supposed to be? I'm sorry if this question infuriates you, as it was not designed to do so.
dawgchain wrote:They left up the rock face of the building and are turning it into an outdoor museum consisting of many things that used to reside in that park.

Like bumper cars, the ice rink, the boats and several other things.... and not all park board members are dumb....just the ones who take calls and letters.... the smart ones have desk jobs and only get to tell their sons, and sons best freinds(me) the interesting things.
I actually told willard this in a previous thread.
----------This space for rent----------
Reggie
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Reggie »

Sertile wrote: Second, he's not going back to Ha Ha Tonka this year (the clinic was to be held at Smittle Cave). That's all I know at this point.
Wonder if this is for health reasons or something? He really had a helluva time getting into/out of Island Cave last year. Too bad.
RaccoonCC
Big Sexy
Big Sexy

Post by RaccoonCC »

Why does he have the job if he cant physically handle it?
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

dawgchain wrote:
Sertile wrote:WILLARD - a question: What in blue hell is that courtyard-thing they're setting up around the propped-up roller rink wall supposed to be? I'm sorry if this question infuriates you, as it was not designed to do so.
dawgchain wrote:They left up the rock face of the building and are turning it into an outdoor museum consisting of many things that used to reside in that park.

Like bumper cars, the ice rink, the boats and several other things.... and not all park board members are dumb....just the ones who take calls and letters.... the smart ones have desk jobs and only get to tell their sons, and sons best freinds(me) the interesting things.
I actually told willard this in a previous thread.
Yeah what Dawgchain said... and this just pisses me off even more... even though I couldn't do anything about it... the city sold off the rides at Doling 40 years ago and now is buying parts of them back at a premium (waist of taxpayer money) just to have a fucking museum that noone is going to give two-shits-in-a-can about.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Theolotus
A Bowl Of Sugar
A Bowl Of Sugar
Location: Three lights down is another gas station, ask THEM.

Post by Theolotus »

just to have a fucking museum that noone is going to give two-shits-in-a-can about.

A coffee can can hold three.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."-Lazarus Long
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by piplnr65656 »

Theolotus wrote:
just to have a fucking museum that noone is going to give two-shits-in-a-can about.

A coffee can can hold three.

Has this been tested? :?
RaccoonCC
Big Sexy
Big Sexy

Post by RaccoonCC »

I will admit, dawgchain knows his stuff.....
Reggie
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Reggie »

RaccoonCC wrote:Why does he have the job if he cant physically handle it?

I honestly don't know what his job actually is. I didn't figure it was "cave tour guide." I figured he was just a random task Doling Center activity guy or something, who happened to be into caving but cursed with bad knees.

BTW: I've never gotten past 2 in a can myself, but your mileage may vary.