Camelot?

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
realwinterbro
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Camelot?

Post by realwinterbro »

Does anybody know if Camelot is still around? Me and a couple of buddies were thinking about going there next week but wanna know if there's anything to see.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

RE: Camelot?

Post by White Rabbit »

Sort of. Jim Bakker's compound is where Camelot used to be. You can still drive in there. I never have. I'd be very surprised if anything of Camelot is still left in there, but it's possible.
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: Camelot?

Post by paul06660 »

White Rabbit wrote:Sort of. Jim Bakker's compound is where Camelot used to be. You can still drive in there. I never have. I'd be very surprised if anything of Camelot is still left in there, but it's possible.
Drove onto the property late one night last month when I was back in Missouri. Appears on Google Earth the site of Camelot was just off highway 86 and according to limited sources I can find was demolished somewhere between 2004 and 2005. Some debris visible on current Google Earth imagery suggest one building may still stand and the rest may be in surrounding debris piles never hauled off. The night I visited the place was quite dark with no visible security other than one camera at the entrance and a few roads that went back a ways where Bakker had new houses built for his flock. Would be interesting to go back and see if there are any traces of Camelot left in those debris piles.
We are all just sloguns waiting to have our triggers pulled.
realwinterbro
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Camelot?

Post by realwinterbro »

Damn, I was really hoping I'd get to explore an abandoned theme park. Oh well, guess I'll have to settle for trespassing on a televangelist's compound
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

realwinterbro wrote:Damn, I was really hoping I'd get to explore an abandoned theme park.
Why don't you explore Celebration City?
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
adventure418
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by adventure418 »

Nicotti wrote:
realwinterbro wrote:Damn, I was really hoping I'd get to explore an abandoned theme park.
Why don't you explore Celebration City?
Just be careful because it is super secure, but I can PM you the best way to get in if you decide to go.
DaleAndElisDad
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Camelot?

Post by DaleAndElisDad »

I would have loved to have gotten in to see the remnants of Celebration City. :(
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

DaleAndElisDad wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:59 pm I would have loved to have gotten in to see the remnants of Celebration City. :(
Pretty sure most of the park is still sitting there abandoned. Just missing some of the rides.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

There’s a church that has leased Celebration City, if you went there for a service I’m sure you could slip away and wander around. There used to be a boneyard first old rides just south of the main parking lot (36.6465281, -93.2965274) you might check that out. Looking at google earth, the only ride that seems to still exist is the go cart track. The vast majority of the rides there were glorified carnival rides mounted on trailers. I’m sure selling and removing them was easy.

Edit: I’m one of the very few people that visited Camelot the single week it was open. It was pretty underwhelming. That jackass televangelist scumbag Jim Bakker has a compound there now.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!