About Winoka...

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
DeathByMoths
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

About Winoka...

Post by DeathByMoths »

So, they have recently started doing some kind of work out there. Much of the forest has been torn up, several structures have been demolished, there's a rather extensive fence being built, and they have seriously amped up security.

My lady friend and I went out to look for Morels last weekend, and spent like an hour hunkered down in the brush avoiding a cop that had showed up. We were on our way out, and wouldn't even have noticed him if I hadn't heard his car door closing. They've gotten pretty serious about keeping people out I guess. We didn't do much exploring while we were out there, since it was getting late and we were more interested in finding some mushies(which we didn't), but the little bit we did see suggests that there is some kind of pretty hardcore demo happening.

Anybody have any idea why this might be? Did the old owner finally sell the property or something?

Tl;dr- Winoka is being heavily monitored atm, would not suggest exploring for the time being.
adventure418
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: About Winoka...

Post by adventure418 »

If you ever want to go back try going in from down the woods. I parked and went in over by the Hall of Fame caves and walked up a “trail” in the woods and it took me right to it. No fences to hop and I think I didn’t technically pass any no trespassing signs.
RV driver
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: About Winoka...

Post by RV driver »

DeathByMoths wrote:So, they have recently started doing some kind of work out there. Much of the forest has been torn up, several structures have been demolished, there's a rather extensive fence being built, and they have seriously amped up security.

My lady friend and I went out to look for Morels last weekend, and spent like an hour hunkered down in the brush avoiding a cop that had showed up. We were on our way out, and wouldn't even have noticed him if I hadn't heard his car door closing. They've gotten pretty serious about keeping people out I guess. We didn't do much exploring while we were out there, since it was getting late and we were more interested in finding some mushies(which we didn't), but the little bit we did see suggests that there is some kind of pretty hardcore demo happening.

Anybody have any idea why this might be? Did the old owner finally sell the property or something?

Tl;dr- Winoka is being heavily monitored atm, would not suggest exploring for the time being.
Google Maps shows no structures, but what appears to be cleared ground. Spfld News Leader reports the property under new private ownership as of 2018. Are all the structures really gone?
Slipping the surly bonds of earth...
Smokehouse
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: About Winoka...

Post by Smokehouse »

RV driver wrote:
DeathByMoths wrote:So, they have recently started doing some kind of work out there. Much of the forest has been torn up, several structures have been demolished, there's a rather extensive fence being built, and they have seriously amped up security.

Google Maps shows no structures, but what appears to be cleared ground. Spfld News Leader reports the property under new private ownership as of 2018. Are all the structures really gone?
Yup they tore them down and have trail cams up now near the fence
I am the liquor Randy