galloway village quarry

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

galloway village quarry

Post by piplnr65656 »

On the blueprints for the underground part of the mine there is a rail link into the upper level coming in from the north east. Has anyone ever found this? We always got distracted and never found it.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

RE: galloway village quarry

Post by White Rabbit »

Like regular railroad tracks? If so, we've been through the majority of it, and I've never seen it. I know for sure that we've seen all the entrances, anyway. It could've been there at one time, though, I guess. But, I'm not sure, because northeast of all the entrances is the quarry pit, and the railroad tracks couldn't go down into that (or over it without a bridge).
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: galloway village quarry

Post by piplnr65656 »

White Rabbit wrote:because northeast of all the entrances is the quarry pit,
The quarry is to the south of the upper and lower entrances. If you walked on the upper road and enter the first entrance the tracks would be all the way to the back and to the right ( standing in the entrance with your back to the pit).
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Hrm... I'm sure you're right. I'm probably turned around about which way the entrances are. But, I also have copies of maps of both levels, and neither shows rails on mine. It shows some vent shafts and stuff, but that's it.

I don't have them here at Hiccup's house to make sure, but I know that according to mine if you walk directly in the upper level entrance (any of them) and go straight back, you would be right against (like maybe 20 yards away) from either Galloway Rd or Luster Ave. I can't remember which, but I do that puts you right there in front of them, facing the road underground.

Aren't there some railroad tracks there or something along Galloway? That could be it? We didn't explore either level that thoroughly (especially the upper level), but I didn't see any signs of a rail entrance.
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by piplnr65656 »

I need to dig out my blueprints for that mine. From what I remember the tracks on the prints were coming in from the north east corner ( toward sequiota park) which would have to be a spur from the main line there. We never found a line on the surface and we never made it to the back of the mine. From what I remember ( it has been like 3-4 years) we were on the belife that they might not have tunneled that far back yet and the print we had was a mining plan and not a actual up to date survey.
To get your bearings if you are standing in the open pit and look to north the underground part will be toward the north, to the west will be the wal mart next to hooters and home depot to the south will be jamesriver freeway and the nature center and to the east will be the mill
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

Where exactly do you get blueprints for these things?
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by piplnr65656 »

Normaly not my style but all mines have to have a map of the mine posted at the main entrance incase of an accident or emergency so people not familer with the mine can have an idea were they are going. It was wrong but we grabbed the map off the wall so we could find anything of intrest in the mine.
Hiccup
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Hiccup »

we can go back and find out :wink: i had a blast at that place

dear santa: id like some bitchin' giant leak proof boots please
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by piplnr65656 »

I am always up for a little adventure. i am curious how much it has changed since last time I was there. Last time they had just moved a mobile crusher into the bottom of the pit.
mjames
Prodigal Son Returns
Prodigal Son Returns

Post by mjames »

That is my area, so i'd be in if it fits my schedule. I have never ventured into the mine myself, so it'd be nice to be with veterans. Knee-pads a good idea or mainly standing?
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: galloway village quarry

Post by White Rabbit »

mjames wrote:That is my area, so i'd be in if it fits my schedule. I have never ventured into the mine myself, so it'd be nice to be with veterans. Knee-pads a good idea or mainly standing?
Oh, standing only. The thing is huge. They used to drive dumptrucks through it without a problem. You need waders or knee-high boots to explore the upper level, though, because it's full of waist high wet piles of crushed limestone. Plus, there's a lot of flooded sections in both levels that you can't do without waders or a raft.
David Keetz
Mercurial Disciple
Mercurial Disciple

Post by David Keetz »

yah...i'm not really stoked about going back to that place...in fact....i think i'd want to be paid good money for it.
I think something clever is supposed to go right here.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: galloway village quarry

Post by BROUSER »

Anyone see the newspaper article about closing Ash Grove Lime? The quarry will remain in operation, different owner, but they are closing the lime plant.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Punctual
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Post by Punctual »

hmmmmm interesting .
WR holds Burger Record at WF cody's
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by piplnr65656 »

Yes this makes me happy. Now there will not be a night shift to get in the way. That place would be fun for a late night high speed 4wheeler trip.