Sequiota Cave

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
RaccoonCC
Big Sexy
Big Sexy

Sequiota Cave

Post by RaccoonCC »

Hey I was just wondering what times of the year you can go there so not to bother the gray bats??

And where do you find this information out in the first place? I need some resources. :?
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

RE: Sequiota Cave

Post by Sertile »

Thanks Racoon, I was planning on making a Sequiota Park thread anyway, as I journeyed there with Anne and a friend of mine recently and she has yet to see fit to blog about it (though I'm sure most people here have heard the details already).

We took a canoe into the recesses of the cave, eventually making it to one of the two ends. It was my second time in the cave, having taken the raft the time before, and I can now say I have officially seen every mapped portion. This is, of course, in reference to "Fisher" Cave, the one containing an underground river, as opposed to the shorter, drier caves at Sequiota.

In reference to your question, I'm not the person to ask. The bats are definitely active right now, and were quite vocal, though I don't feel that this was directly related to our presence in the cave.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: Sequiota Cave

Post by Anne »

Sertile wrote:Thanks Racoon, I was planning on making a Sequiota Park thread anyway, as I journeyed there with Anne and a friend of mine recently and she has yet to see fit to blog about it (though I'm sure most people here have heard the details already).
Yea yea yea, I have it typed up, so I'll blog it soon.
Anne has left the building.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

It has been warm, so the bats aren't settling down yet. As soon as it cools off, they will go dormant and that's when you want to leave them alone. If you wake them up after they go dormant, they won't have the reserves to make it thru the winter. If you are going to go, this might be the last weekend you could do it.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Good advice Brouser. If in doubt you can always give Mel down at the Doling Community Center a ring... there's no guarantee he'll know for sure, but he'll sure act like he does! :wink:

Also,
Yea yea yea, I have it typed up, so I'll blog it soon.
:twisted:
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Post by bluecookies »

even if the bats are in the dormat stage, you can still go through there without bothering them, at least I have
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Cavers and other humans in caves disturb bats, mostly because people go into caves while the bats are sleeping. This is an annoyance to adult bats in the summer, but can be fatal to baby bats, still too young to fend for themselves. If a bat is dropped by the mother, it generally cannot be retrieved from the floor, and dies. In the winter, bats attempt to survive the winter by living on stored fat reserves. Disturbance rouses the bats, causing them to burn precious fat. Let sleeping bats sleep. If you must look, use only red, or dimmed electric lights and talk in low tones (not whispers). The heat from carbide lamps will also rouse bats unnecessarily.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
RaccoonCC
Big Sexy
Big Sexy

Post by RaccoonCC »

Only problem is Mel never returns any of my calls. :? Oh well.

Yeah, the caves pretty cool, I went there in a raft with too many people though, and I'm pretty sure we spent the majority of the time underwater. Where did the passages end up going to? did you do to the one straight or the one to the left, sertile?
[/list]
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Hmmm...canoe into Sequiota. Is this done on the down-low or just broad daylight carrying a canoe in? Any special permission required, or just take chances? My probation is up on a late night foray into the nature center, so not a huge deal, but like to avoid as many problems as possible.
― Ken Ham
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

First of all, the passages don't "end up going" anywhere, unfortunately. There are two of them (the cave makes a wishbone-shape), but they're both dead ends. The right passage is considerably longer than the left passage, and the left passage is navigable by boat a little further than the right, which is "drier." The right passage does contain an interesting waterfall, however.

I have reached the ends of both passages on two seperate trips, one by raft, the other, most recently, by canoe. This was not done on the "down low" in any way, shape, or form, and was in fact QUITE obvious, being done in broad daylight in a crowded park. I'm not sure about Greene County park officials, but your average parkgoers are not going to take offense. In fact, they all seemed fairly entertained.

As for the actual legality of entering the cave... that's sort of a grey area. I've spoken to Mel at Doling Park about this, as well as Matt Forir of Riverbluff fame, and neither could provide me with a definitive answer. From what I've gathered, it's not encouraged, but it's not exactly frowned-upon, either. Basically, they don't WANT people going in there, but hardly anyone does on account of the water, so it's not enough of an issue to bar the cave.

Just be respectful of the cave. Don't kill any bats or break anything, don't make too much racket or shine too much light, and help keep the cave open for everyone.
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

Sertile wrote:The right passage does contain an interesting waterfall, however.
WHAT?! Dude, I totally would have wanted to have seen that, why didn't you guys say anything while we were there?
Underdog
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS

Post by Underdog »

Man, when you guys said you were going to the Sequitoa Caves I thought you meant the stupid tiny dry ones and not the cool underwater one. I have always wanted to check that one out. Now I'm mad I didn't go.

btw..I love fuzzy cute bats.
"I'm federal agent Jack Bauer, and today is the longest day of my life." -Jack Bauer
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

Underdog wrote:Now I'm mad I didn't go.

Well, you're just s.o.l. And those cute fuzzy bats sound evil. I still want to freaking catch one and hold it but NOOO "you'll get rabies".
Cake_Pan
Lush
Lush

Post by Cake_Pan »

Anne wrote:

Well, you're just s.o.l. And those cute fuzzy bats sound evil. I still want to freaking catch one and hold it but NOOO "you'll get rabies".
haha. and if you get rabies.. you cant have wendy's.
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by piplnr65656 »

Cake_Pan wrote:
Anne wrote:

haha. and if you get rabies.. you cant have wendy's.
well they have a shot of rabies so it just depends on how bad you want one. I saw a guy get the rabies shots when we were in panama and it did not look like a fun time.