Who else has been shot at while exploring?

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Who else has been shot at while exploring?

Post by gimpface »

One fine Halloween evening, some friends and I decided that it would be really cool to go check out an awesome little place known as Murder Rocks, just a few miles from where I live. For those of you not familiar, Murder Rocks is on JJ HWY, near the AR state line. It's where civil war era bushwacker Alf Bolin would ambush stage coaches making the Springfield-Harrison run. He would kill nearly all of his victims, often torturing them to get his jollies. Some of his favorite methods: ripping open abdomens, cutting off ears, and the ever popular scalping. And no, this is not urban ledgend, this is historical fact, so you can see why this would be a cool place to check out on Halloween.
Unfortunately, we never made it. I only had a vague idea of where it was and it was really friggin dark and raining, so basically we had no chance in hell of making it there. So instead we spotted an abandoned old cabin and decided that it must be haunted so (obviously) it was fair game on Halloween.
We kicked in the door (bad idea) and checked the place out. It was pretty cool, you could tell nobody had lived there in quite some time. It was a mess. We found bunches of old photos and clothes all over the floor, and a bigass jug of something called "toxicine" with a big 'ol skull and crossbones on it.
We got bored pretty quick and decided to leave. Little did we know, the landowner lived in a house that was VERY close to us, but we hadn't spotted, and was on his porch with a gun. Crazy fucker took two shots at us! Don't know if they were warning shots or not, but they came CLOSE! We hightailed it out of there. Needless to say, that night I learned an important lesson about b&e: Don't fucking do it!
So who else has learned the hard way that some folks will gladly take shots at trespassers?
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

RE: Who else has been shot at while exploring?

Post by White Rabbit »

Well, I can honestly say in my many colorful adventures that I have never been shot at.
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

Guess I'm just lucky. I also had some geezer on an ATV take a shot at me during a paintball game in Buffalo. He was riding around on the opposite side of the fence waving a 12 gauge and screaming at everybody to stay the hell off his property. For some reason he took a shot in my direction. He told the police he was shooting behind me, not at me. Huge difference.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Man, don't even get me started on farmers and landowners. There are some crazy f***ers down in Arkansas. I've never been shot at, though.

Well, not while exploring, anyway.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
Hiccup
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: Who else has been shot at while exploring?

Post by Hiccup »

Sertile wrote:Man, don't even get me started on farmers and landowners. There are some crazy f***ers down in Arkansas.
yeah, makes me think of my dad, actually--wouldnt you agree, barracuda?

one time i was visiting the folks and some teenage boys were f'in around near my dads house, and he asked them not to do that--they gave him teenage boy attitude which my dad cant handle
anyway, some young guy drove his car to my parents driveway, and my dad thought it was one of the disrespectful punks from earlier on, and my dad went OFF on this guy! swearing up a storm, screaming at him to get off his property before he calls the law, etc etc...
i was so scared because i totally thought my dad was gonna get his ass shot
i actually went down to the basement to find a place to hide!
my dad is a crazy bastard
the guy turned out not to be one of the punks from earlier so my dad apologized profusely later on and everything turned out to be cool
but hes still crazy :P
Hiccup
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Hiccup »

ive never been shot at...but i did do something once that involved a helicopter lift to the hospital

this was shortly after i began attending college of the ozarks (near branson MO)
some friends and i decided to do some climbing on campus--we had to climb down this super steep hill which was worth it because there were several waterfalls to see (im pretty sure we were trespassing, but i dont remember for sure)
then of course we had to climb back up the hill which was much harder than the climb down
on the way up, one of my friends encountered a big loose rock, so she decided to take it and throw it down the hill away from everyone so no one would fall from it.
well, although she threw it away from everyone, it bounced back and hit one of the other girls right in the head--she slid down the hill
we were freaking out! that was one of the worst days of my life.
she had to be airlifted to the hospital
she recovered, but not fully.
the whole thing was surreal.

going back to the trespassing thing--i almost got kicked out of C of O for trespassing
another extremely scary incident
some friends and i went to an off limits part of campus to have a campfire
on our return, campus security totally caught us and told us they would be reporting it to the dean
once again, i was freaking out
a little later on, campus security shows up again to tell us they'll let it go this time but not to let it happen again.
phew!
by the way--the campfire was totally innocent (other than the trespassing)
there were no drugs or alcohol or anything bad involved. it really was an innocent campfire
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

Would that happen to have been the awesome cliff below point lookout? I think that used to be a quarry. During a scout camping thing, myself and a bunch of other trouble makers headed straight the that area (well, after we changed all the library screensavers to obscene phrases and p-word protected them). Spent all day going up and down the cliff untill we got yelled at. Fun little climb. I still go trespassing on C of O. They've got a few trails that are awesome for four wheeling.
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

Sertile wrote:Man, don't even get me started on farmers and landowners. There are some crazy f***ers down in Arkansas
One lesson I've learned from my hippy/geologist sister is that people's intention to kill you can be quickly reversed by offering up a beer or two, so keeping a cooler full of Bud can be vital in some parts of the area. Like, oh say, Arkansas.
Hiccup
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Hiccup »

gimpface wrote:Would that happen to have been the awesome cliff below point lookout?
yes it would.
and i wouldnt think twice about trespassing there now
now that i cant get in serious trouble like getting expelled and getting my ass kicked by my dad
:P
Hiccup
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Hiccup »

gimpface wrote:One lesson I've learned from my hippy/geologist sister is that people's intention to kill you can be quickly reversed by offering up a beer or two, so keeping a cooler full of Bud can be vital in some parts of the area.
thats funny because i can totally see that working on my dad
Barracuda
Saucy
Saucy

Post by Barracuda »

yeah, makes me think of my dad, actually--wouldnt you agree, barracuda?
I would totally agree with ya, sis. I can't believe Dad hasn't gotten shot yet. Or hasn't shot anybody else yet. Honestly, I'm always a tad nervous when we go visit cuz I'm afraid one of my miniture humans will get too close to his crazy neighbors house. Either that or Dad will get into another confrontation with one of 'em and, knowing me, I'll get myself in the middle of it cuz I can't keep my mouth shut.
Barracuda
Saucy
Saucy

Post by Barracuda »

I also agree with the beer trick. Also works on hillbilly garbagmen when you want them to pick up something they normally won't. Just set out some ice cold beer close to your trash and watch 'em haul off your old broken chair.
lilwoodhippie
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by lilwoodhippie »

:( Although the only doors I have EVER kicked in were my own I must admit that I have been shot at on more than one occasion , and yes by occasion I mean my birthday , halloween, etc... been airlifted a coupla times too. Personally I find coming to in a helicopter much scarier. Getting shot at just REALLY pisses me off. On the other hand Ive probably given as good as I have gotten. I have always been a little woman and there have been those times where when it all went outa control a firearm has immediately helped me calm a bad situation. Somehow I think I would prolly get along real well with yalls dad.

Please take care if you are going to rely on the beer gimic! Right off I can think of at least 2 or 3 times some farmer has started taking potshots at us cause someone else had strewn beer cans on their property a short time before they caught me there - Ice cold Bud in hand
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

Yeah, it really only works when there's only one or two people, for that reason. If they think you're out there to party, beware.
ShadowBearer
Stubbles
Stubbles

Post by ShadowBearer »

gimpface wrote:Guess I'm just lucky. I also had some geezer on an ATV take a shot at me during a paintball game in Buffalo. He was riding around on the opposite side of the fence waving a 12 gauge and screaming at everybody to stay the hell off his property. For some reason he took a shot in my direction. He told the police he was shooting behind me, not at me. Huge difference.
Well, can you blame him? If anything I would fault him for bad aim. You do look very dangerous.