Much of Joplin is Destroyed

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Re: Much of Joplin is Destroyed

Post by slow_walker »

here are some amazing aerial pictures:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011 ... ve/100073/
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

testube wrote:Just heard on the radio that the confirmed death toll in Joplin has risen to 122, with about 1500 still missing. Also heard that another set of twisters has formed to the West, and have already killed 4 in Oklahoma so far.

Sounds like anyone living in the MO/AR/OK/KS corner area may be in for a scary night. Everybody stay safe and alert!
Thanks for the well wishes. We had severe thunderstorms blow through here last night. These were the same storms Oklahoma had I think, but that had kinda calmed down by the time they reached here. The in-laws came over for quite awhile. We never did go to the basement though.

I just looked at TWC and it appears it may get sporty again yet today. We are on the edge of the red yet Joplin is clearly within it yet again. Poor folks.
"That old hag hates my ass."
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

I was in Joplin today. Here's a pic of st johns. Every major road was blocked off. I couldn't get very close.

We do a lot of work with walmart. They turned in a critial call this morning for us to find their back office servers. Apparently they didn't know how severe the damage was. My co-worker went to the walmart. He said he just left once they started recovering bodies.
Thanks for the pics. The ones I saw hadn't shown the extent of the damage to Walmart. From yours, I can see it's totaled.

I'm glad to see Cousin posting.

One doesn't think of Joplin as storm central, but yet I don't know how many times over the years we've been down there for the Fourth of July celebration and they've had to call it off or simply endured a big storm. Seems like once or twice the storms were pretty damaging. I know they were scary and being from Kansas, I'm an old hand.

I still am shocked at the devastation and my heart goes out to all those who have experienced loss from this on any level.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

The National Weather Service said it was an EF5 with ground winds around 200 mph.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
exconghost
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Much of Joplin is Destroyed

Post by exconghost »

I haven't been there to see the damage in person, but some of those pictures on the flickr slideshow will get to ya. Especially the ones of the kid's toys just laying there on the ground.
Lurking douchebag.
testube
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by testube »

Scout wrote:Thanks for the well wishes. We had severe thunderstorms blow through here last night. These were the same storms Oklahoma had I think, but that had kinda calmed down by the time they reached here. The in-laws came over for quite awhile. We never did go to the basement though.

I just looked at TWC and it appears it may get sporty again yet today. We are on the edge of the red yet Joplin is clearly within it yet again. Poor folks.
Yeah, the radar almost made it look like armageddon was coming...lots of tornado warnings on the radio, too. I got some gas for the generator and we slept in the basement level of our home just in case. Luckily for us, the storm had weakened quite a bit by the time it reached the Ozarks.

They're predicting more thunderstorms tonight for Joplin. Those poor souls need some relief...
chelseagirl
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by chelseagirl »

Hey guys, I don't think I EVER post in here but I wanted to check in and make sure everyone was okay. Do any fellow explorers live in Joplin?

Also, many of you are closer to Joplin than we are up here in KC. Do you know of any relief/aid/cleanup efforts that are going on?

Here's to wishing Joplin well.
And so I gave myself to God. There was a pregnant pause before he said "okay."
Mr.C.L.Dodgson
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Much of Joplin is Destroyed

Post by Mr.C.L.Dodgson »

Went up to Joplin yesterday. It was horrible. The National Guard only let me in the destroyed area after I gave them an address and specific reason for being there. I plan on going back up next week to help. I figure by then the media buzz will have died down so there will be less interest and a bigger need for volunteers. And there will be less chaos so they'll know specifically where help is needed.

If you volunteer:

Bring work gloves. The biggest thing they need right now is limb clearing, since they haven't really finished searching all the destroyed buildings.

You will be able to find food. I packed tons because I thought I wouldn't get any. Turns out lots of people are giving away full meals, and several of the grocery stores outside of the destruction area are perfectly in tact.

If you give blood, give it to a local blood bank! Lots of people are donating to national banks, so it doesn't help Joplin specifically. Community Blood Center of the Ozarks is the one I suggest.

I mainly helped in one specific neighborhood, but I hear MSSU is the place they're sending volunteers who need assignments.

And if you're in Stone or Taney County, watch for flash floods tonight.
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

as if shit wasn't bad enough for those people...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/11/us/11fungus.html?hp
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

redox wrote:as if shit wasn't bad enough for those people...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/11/us/11fungus.html?hp
My wife was just telling me about this the other day. Terrible.

The good thing about all this is the help which has been outpouring to the affected areas.
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by cousin »

the fungus is some nasty stuff, my wife works in the Freeman OR and has told me about some of the nasty stuff they've come across with the fungus/mold

here are some current post tornado pics, can toggle back and forth between before and after.

www.jaspercounty.org

goto enter mapping and data site

search 2800-2900 Schifferdecker, that's where it touched down. a few differnt tools you can play with in the left tool bar
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

National Geographic documentary - Witness: Joplin Tornado

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG2DTAzZAzw