What do you do to protect your self in Scary Area's?

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
Raspius
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: What do you do to protect your self in Scary Area

Post by Raspius »

crazydrummerdude wrote:
DeathByMoth wrote:Girls are icky. Yay swords!
I AGREE!!!!
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

Your daggers, katanas and maglites are no match for my SPLASHZOOKA!! Or my Bear Grylls survival knife with mounted NCStar Red / Green Dot Laser Sight. And definitely not my most deadly weapon: my fist modded with a Mars Generation 4 night vision scope for superior precision in the most dire of circumstances.

What.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:What.
What?
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

Nicotti wrote:
What?
What!
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:
Nicotti wrote:
What?
What!
What...
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

For protection I love carrying my Walther nighthawk:

It's hilarious when I pull it out and the cops freak.

/Sarcasm
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
DeathByMoth
BANNED
BANNED

Post by DeathByMoth »

That's sick... It looks like something from Borderlands.
- Y U NO LIKE RANDY?!?!
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

GlassCurtain wrote:For protection I love carrying my Walther nighthawk:

It's hilarious when I pull it out and the cops freak.

/Sarcasm
gonna guess its a barrel expension and not a slincer???
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

DeathByMoth wrote:That's sick... It looks like something from Borderlands.
Yes it has x4 fire elemental! Plus 60% recoil reduction. :)
ropingk wrote:gonna guess its a barrel expension and not a slincer???
Nope it's a silencer. It sounds like a pellet gun when you fire it.

Because it is a pellet gun. :)
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

LOL silly bastard
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
BRAVHART
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: What do you do to protect your self in Scary Area's?

Post by BRAVHART »

Wow we are wayyy off topic. LOL

I think what we should carry on a UE depends on where we are going. If I`m venturing into the woods way of the beaten path I may carry a handgun maybe even a rifle slung or attached to my pack. Check out a kel-tec sub 2000. Takes my Glock mags and is very compact. I carry it on my motorcycle when I go on long rides. However if I`m close to town or close to me vehicle I will have something very small like a 380 or pocketpistol if anything at all gunwise. I usually always have a pocket knife or something on me. Just be smart as others have said, use your head. If your in a place where the chance of getting caught or being detained by the police is high your probably in a place you don't need a firearm.

We should all get together and post up a list of actual KIT that should be taken on a UE such as first aid, water, flashlights, camera Etc. That would be a good sticky especially for us new guys.
construct_this
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by construct_this »

I agree that the kit you carry should be completely based on where you are going. If it is legal to carry a gun where I was going then I think that I would generally exercise my right. At the same time when I think about going somewhere I might not be welcome that it would not be the best idea. There is to many nuts who wouldn't hesitate to shoot if they saw a gun, but would just kick you off their property otherwise.
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

I like the kit idea, and I'm fairly certain we've had a thread or two about just that here in main somewhere. I used to keep a box of gear for UE in my car, but after buying a new vehicle, it never made the transition.

What I would recommend:

Several light sources, at least one of which is a headlamp. I usually have three in my car, a headlamp, a bigass "hobo basher" maglight, and one of those cheap dry cell lights.

A first aid kit. The one I carry with me during UE is small, compact, and just has what experience has shown that I need. Several different sizes of band aids, disinfectant preps, triple antibiotic ointment, a sterile 4x4 or two, and maybe some Coban. Lately Nu Skin glue has supplanted the band aids for most of my purposes, but I still keep some band aids on hand.

Boots, water proof if possible. Extra Socks. Consider extra pants.

A utility tool, swiss army knife, etc. You never know when you'll need these.

A map of the area you'll be in. Have a real compass, too.

A GPS of some sort. I think stand alone units still work better than phones at this point in time.

Eh, those are some basics, everybody has their own preferences. Experience will show you what you do and don't need.

Edit- Old threads which may be of interest:

What euipment do you carry?

Same thing a year or so later

Gear bag discussion

Flashlight discussion

Those ought to get you started. Or feel free to start 2012's UrbEx kit thread. A non-retarded version of this thread may be a good idea.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
BRAVHART
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by BRAVHART »

Gimpface great post. Good info.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

I found that what I bring is highly dependent on what I will be doing. E.g. if I'm doing something in a sewer or drain where I will prolly get wet, of course I will bring waterproof things and probably not a weapon since I've never known anyone to live in a small cramped sewer.

here's my thoughts on gear:

I personally am a minimalist when it comes to anything. I don't like a bunch of shit weighing me down when I have to run, jump, climb, backflip to the next building over, etc. I will generally leave first aid, extra clothes, rations, katanas, w/e in the vehicle and just have the basics: lights, maybe a camera when mine works, appropriate shoe apparel (boots for water or muddy places, normal shoes for climbing) and that's really about it. Perhaps a small knife just because.

Clothing - I second Gimpy's advice of extra socks, especially for muddy or wet areas. Wet socks/shoes are the worst. I really like BDU clothes because they are so wear resistant and are great for getting messy in, as well as being light and able to carry your stuff in the pockets. I also like military field jackets for the same reason, but don't combine the two in an urban setting. I don't like going out looking like a resistance soldier snooping around buildings because being in all camo somehow draws more attention to yourself. Looking normal is best. Also dressing all in black is a bad idea, because you look like a thug or one of those goth kids that hang out in front of the grocery store and people are going to notice you. Don't need to be a ninja in apparel, just in activity.

lights - keep caving and UE lights separate I say. If I go in to some abandonment downtown toting an artificial sun, somebody's bound to see it through the window and think something's up. I have this $4 single LED that casts a localized light which is perfect since I see what i need to and can keep it low when needed. Also, those 3 LED energizer lights from walmart are great for UE, as they aren't too bright nor too dim, are cheap and last forever.

Weapons - Yes, in urban areas, there is absolutely the risk of running into a wide variety of punks and thugs and bums who are hostile. Also remember, you're probably not Rambo. No matter what size my knife is or how much I am skilled with a katana, I probably can't take down a platoon of warehouse thugs running black market electronics deals when they are all armed. I will prolly die. So, a) Avoid stupid places where this shit happens. b)be ninja and on alert at all times. c) 99% of the time, a weapon is for intimidation purposes. I'm no judiciary scholar, but if you kill or injure someone whilst in the act of trespassing, you're probably not going to talk yourself out of it. "Why did you slice that homeless man in half with that katana?" "Cuz...he said 'hey you guys get out of here," not gunna fly.

Auxiliary shit - rope and vert gear as necessary for some caves and manholes with deep shafts. Prybars for manholes, preferably concealable when walking from hole to hole. One thing I want to get is a van with a hole cut in the floor so I can park over a hole and pop it and stay concealed.

Some people can go over the top with high end expensive gear and a lot of it, and it's completely unnecessary. Just remember, it's not 6 months in Iraq, just a couple hours in a building or underground.