UE Show

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

UE Show

Post by Anne »

Am I imagining this or did I hear somewhere that there's going to be an Urban Explore show on Discovery? If so, does anyone know when this is airing or anything?
ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

RE: UE Show

Post by ann_marie »

New Discovery Channel Adventure Series Putting Together Urban Explorer A-Team
An exciting new Discovery Channel series to air in 2005 is casting for the following:

1 An adventurous, dynamic, structural engineer
2 A hip, buff female rock climber/extreme athlete
3 An industrial/urban archaeologist
4 An urban studies expert
5 An urban historian
6 A fun, energetic anthroplogist with interest in urban exploration
7 Charismatic, practicing urban explorers
8 Any recent graduate or current graduate student with an expertise in American cities

All should be telegenic, fit, engaging, with unique and memorable personalities. We’re looking for people with the desire and charisma to become national TV celebrities.

This series will explore the culture of urban exploration – going into abandoned structures, tunnels, bridges, towers – the hidden zones in our cities where mere mortals fear to tread – and often have no idea that they exist. We are assembling an “A-Team,� 3-5 unforgettable individuals with particular areas of expertise who will set out on various exotic urban adventures.

Those selected will be the stars of a 13-part series, and would be asked to commit a significant amount of time in the spring-fall of 2004.

If interested, you should prepare an audition video tape (VHS preferred, CD/DVD ok) – explaining who you are, why you’d be interested in participating in this series, why we should choose you (relevant experience, what you’d bring to the table). This 3-5 minute tape should give us a real sense of your personality .. are you intense and driven? Laid back? Funny? A wee bit crazy? We want to see that come through – how you do it is up to you.

The tapes should also include a brief urban exploration, where you take us to a site of your choosing. For ideas and more info on UE, click here

Tapes including an urban exploration can be longer than 5 minutes.

Be sure that the tapes include all of your contact information

Please send tapes to the address provided below.

The primary submission deadline has passed, but we'll continue looking at tapes as they come in.

Video tapes will not be returned.

If you have any specific questions, please email:

explorer@hoggardfilms.com

http://www.h-net.org/jobs/display_job.php?jobID=26236
One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Yeah, someone posted that on Ninj's mailing list several months back, and they've been ragging on it every since. It's painful for me just to read that thing. It just seems... very wrong.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Hey, I'M a fun, energetic anthroplogist with interest in urban exploration! When's the deadline?

Edit: Oh, passed... :evil:

I'd rather be a mythbuster, anyway.
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

I'm this "Charismatic, practicing urban explorers" minus being Charismatic. :D Yea, definatly being a Mythbuster would be cooler. They're just awesome.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Actually, I think I might still send a tape in, just for the hell of it. It couldn't hurt, right? I've got a friend who's been begging to see the MFA tower, so I'm thinking what better place to make a video?
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: UE Show

Post by Anne »

Sertile wrote:so I'm thinking what better place to make a video?
Falling off the MFA tower and living to send the tape in. :D
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Sertile wrote:Actually, I think I might still send a tape in, just for the hell of it. It couldn't hurt, right? I've got a friend who's been begging to see the MFA tower, so I'm thinking what better place to make a video?
I've got some rappelling gear if you want to try rappelling down the side of the building. That'd make a pretty awesome video.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

How about the old Eisenmeyer Mills up at Broadway and Commercial (it's right next to the railroad crossing that's been in the paper because the city is thinking of taking that crossing out) I don't think the old grain elevators are used anymore (as is the case will all old grain elevators in Springfield).
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

I wish I could go to a Mill. :( I'm allergic to grain dust and was forbade to go. But I guess having an astma attack woudln't be too much fun.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

I didn't know there were any abandoned mills on Broadway and Commercial... *checks mapquest* That's not the one that's the two towers with the little overpass connecting them, is it?? Because if it is I've been dying to get in there, but I always thought they were still in business.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Thats the place, but the old concreat towers themselves aren't being used.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Is any of it being used though? I have a strict policy about occupied buildings, part of which involves avoiding prosecution.

PS: I emailed the guy in charge of casting this thing to ask if they're still hiring. So far I haven't heard back from him, but I've already worked out a "screenplay" for my audition :D
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Anne wrote:I wish I could go to a Mill. :( I'm allergic to grain dust and was forbade to go. But I guess having an astma attack woudln't be too much fun.
If you go to Lowe's or Home Depot, you can get an abestos mask for like 20 or 30 bucks. It looks a little like a gas mask from the movies. It's just like a plastic mask that goes over your mouth and nose, and has two round filters sticking out on either side. If they'll take care of asbestos in the air, I figure they'd probably take care of grain dust, too.
S1L3N7B0B
Lunch Box
Lunch Box

Post by S1L3N7B0B »

you could get a standard n95 dust mask for the grain i bet... but if you were really nervous you could go n100 i suppose
We might die from medication
But we sure killed all the pain ~ Conor Oberst