Where can I get a decent carbide light?

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Where can I get a decent carbide light?

Post by Chris »

I've got a 1 gallon paint can full of calcium carbide given to me by an old caver (now deceased) and would like to know where I can find a lamp to use it in. If there's such a thing as a modern version, that would be great, but if not it's no big deal as I really just want it for fun, rather than actually use in an exploration.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: Where can I get a decent carbide light?

Post by BROUSER »

Matt Forrir still uses a carbide lamp. Works pretty damn good too.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

you could try ebay i didnt look but they have most everything else
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
godfather
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by godfather »

Checked ebay after reading this, and there were some really cool old lamps on htere. Please post if you end up getting one.
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Where can I get a decent carbide light?

Post by piplnr65656 »

Petzl makes a nice modern carbide lite. They also make a nice carbide-electric light. Any climbing or camping store that carries the petzl line will be able to order you one.
youthsonic
Urban Perversion
Urban Perversion

Re: RE: Where can I get a decent carbide light?

Post by youthsonic »

piplnr65656 wrote:Petzl makes a nice modern carbide lite. They also make a nice carbide-electric light. Any climbing or camping store that carries the petzl line will be able to order you one.
Agreed - Very nice and not very expensive. I have been debating picking one up myself.

The lamp itself is called the Aceto, and the generator is the Ariane.

The Aceto retails for about $66 and the Ariane is about $75

http://store.karstsports.com/pete18accarl.html
"fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
caver
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Post by caver »

Hit your local antique mall. I wouldn't pay more than about $25 for a good used cap mounted lamp. Premier (British) still made lamps when I started caving but went out of production about a year after I started. Some older units, Guys Dropper, Justrite and Autolite are good units. Make sure the base unscrews and doesn't have cracks in it. Make sure the water drip mechanism still works.
I'm guessing half the lamps I look at in antique malls have issues. Sometimes it's problems I can fix like missing tips, felt or base gasket. I caved for several years using a Justrite. I started out using a brand new Premiere. The Justrite wasn't as cantacerous and seemed to have a better balance of water/carbide. The water and carbide run out about the same time.
Minex (India) I think is still making lamps but the quality is questioned by some carbide lamp collectors. A vendor had some for sale at the last Missouri cave gathering I attended.
I never cared for the Petzl ceiling burners. A friend had one on a long trip and he kept pinching the hose on some crawls. I think he was ready to pitch it in the trash at the end of the trip. He ended up putting it in his pack and one of us loaned him a spare electric headlamp.
Caving impaired,,,too old, too fat, don't care.
junkman306
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Where can I get a decent carbide light?

Post by junkman306 »

I think that ozark adventures place has them. I know they carry petzel.