Newby

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
bandit.wc.80
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Newby

Post by bandit.wc.80 »

Hey guys im new to the site after seeing the article in the Joplin Globe a few months ago i finally decided to come online and check the site out. Im currently living in Sioux Falls, SD but was born and raised in the Webb City area. Dont know if any of you have looked into any history of Webb City but i have always heard there are tunnels connecting alot of old downtown buildings. Not to mention all of the old mine shafts and tunnels that i know are all connected but are all unfortunately flooded. If you scuba theres a HUGE mine opening north of webbb city in a small town called Oronogo as well as huge hill right next to it called radar hill which got its name from being a small air force base in WWII. There is also an area west of downtown Webb City that used to house the old Electric Rail cars that were very a main form of transportaion in the 1920's. There is a large building on one corner that is now a skating right but on the east side of the building are old arched doors where they used to pull in the old rail cars. Ive always heard that there are huge tunnels under this building where they stored spare cars and parts and things and that there are still some old cars still down there. There is one good piece of evidence to support it about 10-12 years ago there was a grocery store adjacent to it and a huge chunk of the parking lot fell into a sinkhole. I have some other info on some other caves in and around the Joplin/Webb City area if anyone is interested. Aso my wife is from Neosho MO and there is some really cool history about the old cave in big springs park shes been digging up recently shes really into this stuff to she was an Anthropoloy/archeology major at MSU a few years ago.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: Newby

Post by BROUSER »

Cool! New info is always welcome! Welcome!
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
HMndnproud
Big Chief Little Shit
Big Chief Little Shit

Post by HMndnproud »

Welcome. :D
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

Always good to see new members. Good info!
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: Newby

Post by Willard »

Sioux Falls? DeeDee and I had to drive through ther (well not really through, just on interstate) to get to Mitchell, SD. Anywho, cool that you're from Webb City.... BTW, do you know anything about a US 66 bridge that used to connect Webb City and Carterville? The concrete from it is still there but it looks like the earthen banks that formed part of the road base have been pains-takenly destroied. No one seems to know diddly about this bridge but I swear it existed once upon a time before the highway was moved to the south of both towns.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
DeeDee
Mrs. Willard
Mrs. Willard

Post by DeeDee »

Hi there.
It's your mom and I helped!!!!
bandit.wc.80
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by bandit.wc.80 »

Willard
im not sure what bridge your talking about but Route 66 winds around all over through webb city and carterville. my grandma actually lives on main st in carterville which is part of old 66. if you go northeast of carterville on the old route you will go over a bridge that just got replaced a few years ago the old bridge was a steel expansion bridge over center creek. The area near that bridge is called lake side and if you go tromping up and down the creek you will see remnants of an old amusement park from the early 1900's that was called lakeside. there was a pavillion where they would have dances and an old dam that made a lake it was really neat if you search you can find some old pics of it on line. as a kid we used to go out there and walk around in the woods but i havent been in years. might be a fun trip for some of you close to the joplin area. if you want better directions let me know
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

No, this bridge used to be the continuation of Main street in Carterville heading in the direction of Webb City. It connected with Broadway? in Webb City. According to the 1975 topo map on terraserver the bridge wasn't there then. Webb City/Carterville
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude