Combine canoeing and caving - awesome!

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Combine canoeing and caving - awesome!

Post by slow_walker »

Devil's Icebox Wild Cave Tours
Event Dates: Aug. 1-Oct 8, 2006
Columbia
Region: Central

These day-long, adventure-style wild cave tours of Devil’s Icebox Cave will be offered on select Saturdays and Sundays. Participants must be in good physical condition, must be able to carry a 65-pound canoe and paddle one-half mile through passages that include several low, tight spots. The tour includes wading in cold water and walking over muddy, slippery, rocky surfaces. Some crawling or climbing may be required. Participants must provide their own cave-appropriate headlamps, footwear and clothing. Some fees apply. Registration is required. Contact the park for a brochure and schedule.

Phone: 573-449-7402
Hours: Free.

www.mostateparks.com
Now this sounds like something several of you guys would love to do, so I thought I would make sure you knew it was happening. In fact, there's 2 months worth of weekends to choose from, so I am going to be really disappointed if noone goes and gets cool pics. :)
pavement
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Combine canoeing and caving - awesome!

Post by pavement »

I almost did that last year. My dad lives in Jeff city and we were going to do it last summer but I could not find the time. I would still love to do it. I have been all over that park and found many other caves all with gates and of course the small cave they let you go in. Speaking of caves In ha ha tonka state park I found a way in to a cave on the island trail. The main way in to the cave is blocked but there is a back way.
Can you here me now! its the end of radio, and we miss it.
ShadowBearer
Stubbles
Stubbles

Re: Combine canoeing and caving - awesome!

Post by ShadowBearer »

I don't know why you need a canoe to go a half mile.
Depending on how far you have to carry the canoe, swiming a half mile is pretty damn easy.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I'm all about the floatie armbands. But I've waded waist deep for a quarter mile in a cave. It really kind of sucks.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Damn. I'd go if I were in the neighborhood. I thought about going on one of these trips last year, but that fell through for some reason. I think I was in the desert or something.

Anyway, anyone who wants to canoe in a cave that badly need only look so far as Sequiota... or Carthage.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

That sounds really cool. Thanks, I may look into that.
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Sertile wrote:Anyway, anyone who wants to canoe in a cave that badly need only look so far as Sequiota...
I was down at Sequiota on Saturday. They have a sign up over the cave, no entrance without permission.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :!:

Oh well, it'll be gone by the time I get home.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

BROUSER wrote:
Sertile wrote:Anyway, anyone who wants to canoe in a cave that badly need only look so far as Sequiota...
I was down at Sequiota on Saturday. They have a sign up over the cave, no entrance without permission.
The park board can fuck off... I'm gonna do it anyway, they can't keep people from entering a cave.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

they can if it has bats in it and is considered protected---trust me on this willard they make it a huge pain
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

LOTS of bats.
― Ken Ham
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

The Jordan Creek Tunnel has lots of bats too and it isn't protected... So I call bull shit on the park board.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

NOT as many as Sequiota Cave... trust me. It can get pretty hairy in there.

But still, I don't think it should be closed. The water is enough of a deterrent to keep out all but the most determined cavers. And I'm COMPLETELY opposed to the gating of Doling Cave, as most of you know.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I've seen too many trashed caves to not have some form of deterrent in place.
― Ken Ham
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

It just seems counter-productive (read: ass backward) to specifically build a park AROUND A CAVE, then tell people they can't go in.