Active explorer or armchair explorer

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below

Are you a honest to god Indiana Jones style explorer or are you a armchair explorer at heart.

Indian Jones
69%
Armchair explorer
31%

Total votes: 29

HMndnproud
Big Chief Little Shit
Big Chief Little Shit

Re: Active explorer or armchair explorer

Post by HMndnproud »

Armchair exploring not sex exploration.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.
Watcher
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Active explorer or armchair explorer

Post by Watcher »

I'm more of an armchair explorer. Indiana Jones, I definitely ain't. I'm far too clumsy and accident prone. I'd be caught very easily.
"Oh, poor Watcher. Did your life flash before your eyes? Cuppa tea, cuppa tea, almost got shagged, cuppa tea..."
- Spike, "BTVS"
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

Post by whipping_post »

HMndnproud wrote:Armchair exploring not sex exploration.
Depends on what you're exploring methinks.
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign.
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

Sex exploration? Don't you mean "sexploration"?
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
Hiccup
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: Active explorer or armchair explorer

Post by Hiccup »

Watcher wrote:I'm more of an armchair explorer. Indiana Jones, I definitely ain't. I'm far too clumsy and accident prone. I'd be caught very easily.
well, im an active explorer cause i have to be to keep up with my damn boyfriend. and even if i didnt participate in everything, id still feel like an active explorer cause that boy stresses me out

and, Watcher, im clumsy as hell--ask anyone ive explored with
DeeDee
Mrs. Willard
Mrs. Willard

Post by DeeDee »

She is clumsy but not as clumsy as me. :)
It's your mom and I helped!!!!
FiReDiVeR
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Post by FiReDiVeR »

Hiccup wrote:
well, im an active explorer cause i have to be to keep up with my damn boyfriend. and even if i didnt participate in everything, id still feel like an active explorer cause that boy stresses me out
I know what you are talking about after seeing him try to do some crazy shit, like go wanting to go down a whole that is at least 50 feet straight down, I mean completely vertical, with a my tag rope that is only 40 feet long. What about the last 10 feet, which was probably more like 15 or 20, If I would have let him use it I think He would have gone. I'm a firefighter so I like to be at least a little safe like to have at least enough rope to reach the bottom.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

FiReDiVeR wrote:I know what you are talking about after seeing him try to do some crazy shit, like go wanting to go down a whole that is at least 50 feet straight down, I mean completely vertical, with a my tag rope that is only 40 feet long. What about the last 10 feet, which was probably more like 15 or 20, If I would have let him use it I think He would have gone.
Well, no offense, but I probably would've made it to the bottom. And if I hadn't made it (because of the rope being too short and the wall not being climbable), I would've just shimmied back up it again. Just like I did when I came out of the smaller hole using the rope later on. And just like I did after you guys left when I used my rope to go 20 feet straight down into that other mine. In fact, getting into that mine was way harder than the big pit would've been, because the wall in there curved inward and I couldn't even put my feet against it.

I know people think I'm nuts, but I really don't do stuff unless I'm capable of doing it. And I climb a rope better than most people climb stairs.
Grey
Drunk #3
Drunk #3

Post by Grey »

Yeah you are insane.
FiReDiVeR
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Post by FiReDiVeR »

I don't doubt your rope climbing skills, but I do know that you are crazy, Hiccup said so, and I know that crazy sometimes gets people hurt. I have just seen to many people get hurt, just like gimpface has. What did you find when you went back up to that mine after we left?
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

No such thing as too many injuries. Job security, man!
However, I sincerely hope we never have a serious injury or fatality among those of us here at UO... Not that there aren't a couple folks here I wouldn't mind dropping off the face of the earth, but it will reflect poorly on all of us and bring THE MAN down on UO.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
FiReDiVeR
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Post by FiReDiVeR »

I know what you are saying and I agree with you totally. I just think that it would be shitty if one of us got hurt(extremly) on a trip that is supposed to be fun. I don't know if you have ever been called to a scene where it was someone you knew, but I haven't yet and would like to keep it that away. I don't care if people try crazy stuff just do it as safely as possible so that this doesn't happen and turn a good trip shitty and possibly getting someone in trouble with the law for trespassing or something of the sort.
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by piplnr65656 »

With risk comes great rewards but we must all learn to reconise are own limits and abilites. The saying is "The greater the risk the greater the reward" but I have personaly taken great risks before and been sadly disapointed.
Hiccup
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Hiccup »

FiReDiVeR wrote:I don't doubt your rope climbing skills, but I do know that you are crazy, Hiccup said so, and I know that crazy sometimes gets people hurt. I have just seen to many people get hurt, just like gimpface has. What did you find when you went back up to that mine after we left?
yes ive said WR is crazy, but ive also said more than once that he is the most responsible person i have ever known in my life. when i say hes crazy i dont mean hes actually crazy. he is one of the most sane people i know! so whenever i say WR's crazy, i just mean he has huge yarbles for doing stuff that i wouldnt ever even consider doing myself, but i dont ever doubt that he can do the things he attempts
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

FiReDiVeR wrote:I don't doubt your rope climbing skills, but I do know that you are crazy, Hiccup said so, and I know that crazy sometimes gets people hurt.
People, including Hiccup, think I'm crazy because I do a lot of things that they're either too afraid to do or physically aren't capable of doing. It might be crazy by their standards, but it's not crazy if you know you're completely capable of doing it. There's always the added danger of putting yourself in a risky situation. But if you really know what you are and are not capable of, then the only risk comes from random accidents that you couldn't possibly control anyway (except by not fully exploring those places, which is not an option for me).

Truth be told, I love that people think I'm crazy. But I'm actually not. If I couldn't do something, I wouldn't do it.
What did you find when you went back up to that mine after we left?
The flooded tunnels don't go anywhere. I was able to walk back inside of both of them with my waders, and I was able to see that they're both dead-ends.