Mausoleum ethics

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Mausoleum ethics

Post by piplnr65656 »

While making a list of things to check out this weekend while I am on a business trip I found the exact location of this place as I am going to check out some abandoned ships just down the road from it. Dose exploring this cross the line between a Indiana Jones style adventure and grave robbing? Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

www.undercity.org/photos/1Gallery/maus1DSC_0034.htm
Last edited by piplnr65656 on Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

RE: Mausoleum ethics

Post by whipping_post »

I'm of the thought that I'll take pictures of the outside but I won't go inside unless it's open, and even then I will do nothing but take pictures but not of names. To me, that's just disrespectful. Then again, I want to be dumped in the woods when I'm dead so I'm not one to talk, but those are my thoughts.

Now ships are a different matter. That'd be fucking excellent mate!
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign.
idontlikespam
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by idontlikespam »

People take pictures in cemeteries all the time, it's not really that different. I don't think it would be disrespectful unless you did something tasteless. Cemeteries are open to the public, so it's not like you are exploiting anything. Now if you were tromping around and trashing the place then it would be disrespectful but as long as you are mindful of where you are, I would think you would be OK.
HMndnproud
Big Chief Little Shit
Big Chief Little Shit

Re: Mausoleum ethics

Post by HMndnproud »

I love taking pictures of headstones. Some of them are really beautiful. To walk thru the cemetery and see all the names and dates, all the untold history together in one place. Cemeteries are nice places.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Eh, if it's already wide open from someone else, I don't see the harm in going in and having a look. I know I would.
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by piplnr65656 »

Yes I am ok with cemetaries but what made this place a little odd was that there are skeletons laying all over the place, not just in the crips. One of the notes said that you have to be careful to step over the skeletons on the floor. From the pictures from another web site it looked like the place was very big and that someone had stolen all the skulls.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Looking at the place, I'd say the damage has been done. Ethically, I don't see any more problem with exploring this than I would say, Yellowstone or Yosemite, with the same application of the basic tenets. Leave only footprints, take only pictures.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

Post by whipping_post »

Or you can use the Boy Scout method: Take your trash and clean up more.
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign.
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

You were obviously never a scout. Take it from this former Eagle Scout- the Boy Scout method is a wee bit more like this:

"Tear down the other troop's tents, beat them with sticks, throw lighters into the fire, and if you can smuggle bullets off the rifle range, do it."

piplnr- Bring me a skull. I wish to make an ashtray (I don't smoke, but I can learn!).
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
Jesta
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Jesta »

Gimp, i think you scare me.
Grey
Drunk #3
Drunk #3

Post by Grey »

he is harmless...
ShadowBearer
Stubbles
Stubbles

Post by ShadowBearer »

I want a skull to throw at the roomates.
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

Post by whipping_post »

gimpface wrote:You were obviously never a scout. Take it from this former Eagle Scout- the Boy Scout method is a wee bit more like this:

"Tear down the other troop's tents, beat them with sticks, throw lighters into the fire, and if you can smuggle bullets off the rifle range, do it."

piplnr- Bring me a skull. I wish to make an ashtray (I don't smoke, but I can learn!).
I was told to skin it and eat it. Oh wait, that was just about girl scouts and hookers. Wait, I'll remember what they taught us eventually.
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

Grey wrote:he is harmless...
And you are syphilitic.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
Grey
Drunk #3
Drunk #3

Post by Grey »

I never said I wasn't harmless, I won't a skull to throw at shadowbearers roomates also.