Hello and Question

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
SxySkeksis
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Hello and Question

Post by SxySkeksis »

Hello all. I've been lurking around the forum for a couple weeks now. I recently caught the UE bug and am hoping to go explore something this week. It appears, however, that there is a severe lack of sites in my area, Wichita Kansas. Not that I am surprised, as there is a severe lack of EVERYTHING in my area. So that's my hello, and here's my question.

What should I look for to judge a sites safety in terms of physical and lawfulness?

I would like to pick something realatively tame for my first shot, but I'm wondering if there are tell tale signs to look for in judging that. Note, I am only interested in non-active sites and would actually prefer more rural things such as abandoned houses and barns. But as much as I don't want to run into a cop with a gun, a farmer with a shotgun scares me even more.
ze_beeved
Resident Mechanical God
Resident Mechanical God

RE: Hello and Question

Post by ze_beeved »

Welcome to the site!

This is about as tame as they get but it's the only thing in Wichita I can think of. You could go wander around the the damn at lake afton. I believe it's on the south side of the lake. I race karts there at the lake, that's the only reason I know where it is.
I don't know where to start.....
dawgchain
The Pumkin King
The Pumkin King

Hello and Question

Post by dawgchain »

in previous topics there have been many links to sites that tell you of abandoned buildings all over the US. I will try to find one for you.

And tell tale signs...
Power ussually means someone uses it it atleast once a month.

And a commun one is looking for car tracks... it is kinda obvious to spot old marks versus new tracks.

If you are really nervous, scout the place out before hand, if your unsure of how often a place is frequented, lay a small stick leaned against the door, if it opens the stick falls. when you return, if the stick is still standing, then chances are it's undesturbed. same with car tracks... lay a small(thumb widthX 2ft) branch across the tracks. small enough most people wil run them over... crushing them. If the branch is crushed, then someones been there.

Those are unontrusive ways to get a really good idea of how frequented a place is. They are old security guard tricks used to kep an eye on a door with-out being obvious. We used pens, and no-body ever caught on.
----------This space for rent----------
dawgchain
The Pumkin King
The Pumkin King

Post by dawgchain »

----------This space for rent----------
SxySkeksis
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by SxySkeksis »

ze_beeved-- I've driven past it a few times (where the road melds into that strange shale platform) and gone up it a bit. Is there anything interesting there at all?

dawgchain-- Thanks so much for the tips and the link!! The stick/pen trick is a great one I think. (Now to figure out how to do that without the Kansas winds blowing it far away.) Would being on that website make it more likely that a site is monitored, in your opinion?
ze_beeved
Resident Mechanical God
Resident Mechanical God

Re: RE: Hello and Question

Post by ze_beeved »

SxySkeksis wrote:ze_beeved-- I've driven past it a few times (where the road melds into that strange shale platform) and gone up it a bit. Is there anything interesting there at all?
Not really. Nothing you can't see from the car
I don't know where to start.....