Night Vision

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
mjames
Prodigal Son Returns
Prodigal Son Returns

Post by mjames »

*salivates* Ohh the petzl myo.
Back in Black!
RaccoonCC
Big Sexy
Big Sexy

Post by RaccoonCC »

Somethings not right with you *salivates over pierre*

god....me too.
I'm not good I'm not nice i'm just right. I'm witch...You're the world.
darkcloud617
Sir Talks-a-lot
Sir Talks-a-lot

Post by darkcloud617 »

ok ok- who the hell? i hear everybody in racccc talking about him *it* i wanna know who *what* that is....
GHL
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by GHL »

I wouldn't spend your money on anything less than Gen 2 in regards to NV. Walking around in the dark with Gen 1 is just dangerous. It is a 40 year old technology that was designed to be be static mounted on weapon systems, not head-mounted for traversing terrain in blacked out conditions.

It offers absolutely no depth perception at all, and as mentioned is not compatible with anything more than low intensity visable light. Direct exposure will immediately burn out the intensifier tubes, making the unit absolutely worthless.

In addition, you are going to have an extremely hard time interfacing anything but state of the art, military NVG systems with a gas mask. The only way a NV unit can be mounted on your head without a helmet is to use a headmount specifically designed for that unit (which aren't available for most older technologies), and even then, it can't be worn with a gas mask on. Even holding it up to your eyes typically won't work with a gas mask on due to the limited eye relief.

In regards to the gask mask, I'd make sure it seals properly before I'd stake my life on it. I wouldn't even consider going anywhere that I might need one without a brand new filter installed and an extra filter with me. Make sure your filters are rated for whatever it is you are concerned about encoutering. I'd also make sure you are properly and adequately trained on how to use it, and how to safely switch out your filters. During confined exposure is not a good time for a crash course.

In a sentence, make sure you are competent with the equipment you intend to use, and its limitations, before putting yourself in a situation you might need it in.
mjames
Prodigal Son Returns
Prodigal Son Returns

RE: Night Vision

Post by mjames »

Solid advice Ghl. Always good to know how to use your equipment.